Question Lan switch causing lag spike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2020
I have my main modem/router on the 1st floor and my PC on the 2nd floor. I connected the pc to the router via LAN cables and I previously bought a TP-link wifi extender, which can be set up as an extender or as an access point.

I wasn't satisfied with the connection since it was only an extender so I bought a TP-link 10/100 switch and connected both my PC and the access point to that. after that I've been experiencing lag spikes. So I removed the LAN switch from the equation and reverted the access point to an extender and voila no lag spikes.

Am I doing something wrong? should I just get another router? I have an old cisco router but its not dual band and the range sucks

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
Why 10/100?

the switch shouldn’t introduce any latency as the frames are forwarded in hardware, although it’s not difficult to saturate 100 mbps on a LAN depending on your client and traffic volume

do you get no lag spikes if you connect the ap to the router directly and just your pc into the switch which is linked to the router? Did you try to do anything derpy like use multiple cables from the switch to the router?

Jun 2, 2020
10/100 because I only get upto 60Mbps. Can the smart TV on wifi saturate the network? I wouldnt think so. After I removed the secondary lan switch and just plugged my PC to the main router, it was okay for a day I think, after that I experience lag spikes just like I would with the lan switch so I think thats not the problem. I'm planning to connect the smart TV via LAN so it would take off some load on the wifi, would that be a problem? netflix is playing all day on the smart TV

Status
Not open for further replies.