LAN to my shop - CATV, CAT-5/6, wireless

BadDog2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
I have a home network running CAT-5 with Wireless G/N for laptops. This has worked well, though I personally don't care for wireless due to the flaky and sometimes slow experience.

So now I'm setting up a new home office out in my shop, about 120' from my house. I need fast speeds and have a premium cable (Cox) ISP to my house. The shop, which also has a guest house, has coax run from the main house underground.

So, seems I have several options.

1) Wireless with a directional repeater and live with the limitations.

2) E/CATV, which I know nothing about.

3) Try to run CAT-5/6 through the existing underground conduit (might fit without removing the coax), and then snake through the shop attic to the far side where my office will be.

I'm leaning toward E/CATV, but really know nothing about it. Anyone got suggestions?

BadDog2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Thanks, I was looking at that very item earlier tonight, but have no idea how well it would work.

The CAT-5 was my first plan. But I must say the thought of running CAT-5/6 all the way through is a bit daunting (the attic crawl space is very tight and full of fiber glass), and also routing it out through the house to get to the underground line, so I wanted to consider other options. Plus, that run is over the rated the limits for cable length, so I expect I'll need a repeater/booster at the house termination, and possibly another at the near side of the shop. And I thought the CATV converter would also accomplish that purpose in the bargain. I hate to loose GB rates, but keeping it is a lot of work.

BadDog2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
So no other suggestions on how to best accomplish a moderately long LAN extension to my shop office? Or is it the holiday lag? Wrong forum? Anyway, back to the top...