Question LAN/WiFi/Bluetooth Not Working on New Build

ZorakXT

Honorable
Jan 3, 2015
Hi, just finished a new build, but neither my wireless nor LAN are functional.

Specs:
  • Motherboard - Asus ROG STRIX B460-I GAMING Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard
  • CPU - Intel Core i3-10100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 980 4 GB Video Card
  • OS - Windows 8.1 Pro
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory
  • Storage - Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • PSU - Corsair CV 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
  • Cooler - Cooler Master i71C RGB 37 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler
  • Case - Silverstone RVZ03B-ARGB Mini ITX Desktop Case
According to PCPartPicker, I shouldn't have any issues with compatibility.

After freshly installing Windows 8.1 Pro from a USB, it took me almost straight into the start screen, completely skipping any product key input or login creation prompt. Once in, I immediately noticed I had no wireless. After clicking on my Network Connections, I found it was completely empty.

Going into Device Manager I noticed errors next to all the wireless and LAN drivers. Trying to update them automatically proved unsuccessful.

I tried installing the drivers for the wireless and LAN from the provided disc, but they wouldn't install no matter what. It would just keep asking me to restart my computer, but every time I did, it still didn't show installed. I'm wondering if maybe they are drivers for Windows 10 as when I checked the ASUS website, they only had drivers for Windows 10. I know a lot of companies are discontinuing support for older versions. I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 for personal reasons.

Afterwards, I tried doing a fresh reinstall of Windows 8.1, but the same issues persisted. Once again it skipped the step asking for me to put in a product key and to login. I don't believe the copy of Windows 8.1 on the USB is the issue as I used the same one when I built my mom's computer not too long ago. It worked normally on hers.

What really puzzles me is the LAN isn't working. I plug it in and see it light up in the back, but due to the drivers not being installed nothing happens.

Troubleshooting steps I've tried:
  • Clean reinstall of Windows 8.1.
  • Running Windows Network Diagnostics.
  • Uninstalling drivers in Device Manager and rebooting.
  • Cursing at the computer.
  • Alternating which cables are threaded on for the included dongle that gives WiFi/Bluetooth.
  • Updating BIOS.
  • Manually trying to find a driver to install. I believe this may be my best bet, but I am unsure of what drivers to pick. I'm assuming they're all under "Network adapters>ASUSTek Computer Inc."
Currently the following drivers state they are not installed:
  • Ethernet Controller
  • Network Controller
  • PCI Simple Commmunications Controller
  • Unknown device
  • Generic Bluetooth Adapter (This one seems to be installed but has issues as well. When attempting to reinstall the driver I get the following : Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43))
I'm assuming the problem is either OS compatibility or a problem with the motherboard itself. The fact that it doesn't ask for a product key (it did when I installed from USB on my mom's) seems to insinuate either there is no connection whatsoever, meaning the drivers were broken from the start or that there is an issue with the motherboard itself. What do do you guys think?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Reactions: Gaming7Ray
Jun 13, 2020
Most manufactures dont support Windows 8 now. They have deleted Drivers to make people use windows 10 only. If you dont want to go on 10. Then go to official site of Installed Lan and WAN , like Realtek, intel and download your driver from there , then install it

Jun 13, 2020
Most manufactures dont support Windows 8 now. They have deleted Drivers to make people use windows 10 only. If you dont want to go on 10. Then go to official site of Installed Lan and WAN , like Realtek, intel and download your driver from there , then install it
I checked your motherboard, both LAN & WAN are form Intel
LAN - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/82186/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I219-V
WAN - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...rs-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=189347
Unfortunately WIFI Drivers are only for Windows 10 but you can try it

ZorakXT

Honorable
Jan 3, 2015
I checked your motherboard, both LAN & WAN are form Intel
LAN - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/82186/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I219-V
WAN - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...rs-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=189347
Unfortunately WIFI Drivers are only for Windows 10 but you can try it
Thanks! I tried both and they didn't work unfortunately. The WiFi said it wasn't compatible. The Ethernet stated that, "Cannot install drivers. No Intel(R) Adapters are present in this computer." I tried manually navigating to the folder the drivers were to be in but to no avail either. I may be SOL unless I go to 10 huh?

Reactions: Gaming7Ray
Jun 13, 2020
Thanks! I tried both and they didn't work unfortunately. The WiFi said it wasn't compatible. The Ethernet stated that, "Cannot install drivers. No Intel(R) Adapters are present in this computer." I tried manually navigating to the folder the drivers were to be in but to no avail either. I may be SOL unless I go to 10 huh?
Its all Done by Windows. They ended support and removed all drivers for 8 & 8.1 so that everyone use windows 10, Same problem are with me. I cannot install Nvidia Drivers on windows 8.1