[SOLVED] LAN wont go up to 1 GBIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 2, 2019
Hello everyone I seek help once again.

Today my internet connection got upgraded from 50 MBIT to 400 which really is doing some work on my laptop. However on my main pc Im not able to change the rate from 100 Mbits to 1Gbit.

Im using the same cable, my mainboard and ethernet device drivers are up to date, my ethernet device(slot, machine, ..., I do not know how to precisely name it I am sorry lol) is capable of running with 1 Gbit and i looked it up in my bios if I may need to change something but there was nothing so I decided to not change anything at all.

However I went to speed and duplex configurations and set it from 100 Mbits to 1 Gbit fullduplex and flowcontrol Rx / Tx activated. It still doesnt work.

I also turned my pc off and on again, cleaned the ethernet slot, like already said updated every needed driver and also changed the cable.

My mainboard:
- MSI MS 8717 with Realtek PCIe GbE Family controller

My cable is 5e

Im using windows 10

does someone have an idea? Other threads in forums didn't help me at all, most likely it was because they just bought a new ethernet device which I am currently not able to do.

Solution
Yeah, you don't know--because if it worked on your laptop it wasn't broken.

Different nics detect the signal strength on the cable differently. Your laptop could use the cable at gigabit because it could properly get all the signals. Your desktop couldn't. It is a marginal cable with either poor quality, is damaged, or not made for gigabit in the first place.

Lutfij

Titan
Which version of Windows 10 are you on? Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? How long is the cat5e cable that's running from your ISP to your Ethernet port? I'm sorry but it reads to me that you con't have an intermediary between the ISP and the desktop and the Ethernet cable is your only tether.

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling your Ethernet drivers as well?

Sep 2, 2019
Once again impressed with how fast people try to help here, my native language forum is not as quick. :)

Im on Windows 10 home version 1903 which seems to be the most recent one since I have automatic updates activated.

Yes like I ve written I updated every relevant aspect, including the bios of my motherboard.

The length shouldnt actually matter since my laptop is next to my pc and it works just fine over there but I guess its 10m but at maximum 15m. (im not quite sure)

I am sorry what does con't mean? I am connected directly from my pc through lan cable to my router, I do not use any device like a switch or something like that.

I just tried un- and reinstalling my ethernet drives - it did not help.

@ex_bubblehead

I have to guess that the modem itself is capable of transmitting 1 GBIT since it is a new one which i have to use since today ( a technician installed glassfibre and the modem). As written above I run the cable directly.

Sep 2, 2019
I am sorry I mixed those two words up, the technician told me he directly connected the end device to the glassfibre connection so in this case I guess its a modem(? I am not aware those 2 things were different being honest here). There is no name on it, it's a selfmade device by the company (vodafone) and if i try to google it I cant see any results.

Sep 2, 2019
It works now just fine - to be honest I do not know why and can not explain why !!! Because my old 5e cable works just fine on my laptop

For anyone having the same issue: I changed the network cable from 5e to a new 5e cable and voila it works

Thank you guys so much for trying to help me out nonetheless, very appreciated!!!

Yeah, you don't know--because if it worked on your laptop it wasn't broken.

Different nics detect the signal strength on the cable differently. Your laptop could use the cable at gigabit because it could properly get all the signals. Your desktop couldn't. It is a marginal cable with either poor quality, is damaged, or not made for gigabit in the first place.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.