Land Class files

GREGORY

After installing some quality hi-res MESH.. the next step is to add
detailed Land Class files. Then towns and fields are mapped onto the
Scene more like the real world. They're not easy to find.. however if
you like to search and download { grin } .. here's what's available:

Volume in drive F is Edmain Tank 80 GB
Directory of F:\FS2002\SCENE - Land Class

<DIR> - Land class tank - < contains odds and ends
<DIR> Argentine
<DIR> Bogota
<DIR> Brasil
<DIR> California Land Class 2
<DIR> Corsica, Italy
<DIR> Crater Lake
<DIR> Ecuador
<DIR> Florida
<DIR> FSGenesis Land Class USA - beta
<DIR> Germany
<DIR> Germany - Bayer
<DIR> Greenland
<DIR> Innsbruck
<DIR> Israel Negev Desert
<DIR> Istanbul
<DIR> Jacksonville
<DIR> Kansas - Missouri
<DIR> Mexico
<DIR> Mexico City
<DIR> New England
<DIR> Ohio
<DIR> Pacific Northwest - A.N
<DIR> Pacific Northwest - N.H
<DIR> Phoenix
<DIR> Quito
<DIR> Swiss
<DIR> Switzerland LC - Bosshard
<DIR> Toronto
<DIR> United Kingdom
<DIR> Washington North Cascades

Bogota is quite a place actually.. El ~8'000 ft. See LC example here:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/Bogota_1.jpg

What's with this WHITE -100?? hmm?
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/Bogota_5.jpg

Is that all you do is fly the damn 727? Yep.... how come??
Because it's.. `technology from our space program!!' :)
am joking here..ok

Question.. has the LC spec changed from FS8 to FS9?

-Gregory

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:45:14 -0500, Gregory
<flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote:

>After installing some quality hi-res MESH.. the next step is to add
>detailed Land Class files. Then towns and fields are mapped onto the
>Scene more like the real world. They're not easy to find.. however if
>you like to search and download { grin } .. here's what's available:

[SNIP stuff]

Hi Gregory

Am I correct in thinking that Mesh files interact with the default
secnery but gives more of a 3D appearance?

Also, I now get the impression that Land Class files produce a more
realistic view above and beyond the default look. Correct?

James

GREGORY

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:44:17 GMT, James Hodson
<jUNDERSCOREhodson@ntlworld.com.invalid> brought the following to our
attention:

>On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:45:14 -0500, Gregory
><flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>After installing some quality hi-res MESH.. the next step is to add
>>detailed Land Class files. Then towns and fields are mapped onto the
>>Scene more like the real world. They're not easy to find.. however if
>>you like to search and download { grin } .. here's what's available:
>
>[SNIP stuff]
>
>Hi Gregory
>
>Am I correct in thinking that Mesh files interact with the default
>secnery but gives more of a 3D appearance?

Scenery is a rather broad term. Think of mesh as a grid of `tent
poles' spaced at 38m (or 70m, whatever). The terrain cover is drawn
on top of the `canvas' that is arrayed on the `poles'. The Land Class
files tell Sim what bitmap to display on each cell or sector (for lack
of better words).

>Also, I now get the impression that Land Class files produce a more
>realistic view above and beyond the default look. Correct?

Yes.. MSFS has default LC files but not with much detail. It would be
a really BIG job to accurately define the whole world. You can get
replacement LC files for different areas that lay in more diverse and
varied `terrain bitmaps' than with the default. Hence improved
appearance.

I don't describe traditional `scenery' much because it must be greatly
reduced as a trade-off for performance in my `low end hardware' case.
So MESH and LC are favored while keeping the `scenery objects' to a
minimum.

Scenery generally means BGL files that define buildings, runways,
trees, and other objects.. where as MESH are the terrain elevation
gridwork files. LC are the bitmap definition files. That should be
close to the precise definitions.

>James

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:07:00 -0500, Gregory
<flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote:

>>Am I correct in thinking that Mesh files interact with the default
>>secnery but gives more of a 3D appearance?
>
>Scenery is a rather broad term. Think of mesh as a grid of `tent
>poles' spaced at 38m (or 70m, whatever). The terrain cover is drawn
>on top of the `canvas' that is arrayed on the `poles'. The Land Class
>files tell Sim what bitmap to display on each cell or sector (for lack
>of better words).
>

>>Also, I now get the impression that Land Class files produce a more
>>realistic view above and beyond the default look. Correct?
>
>Yes.. MSFS has default LC files but not with much detail. It would be
>a really BIG job to accurately define the whole world. You can get
>replacement LC files for different areas that lay in more diverse and
>varied `terrain bitmaps' than with the default. Hence improved
>appearance.

By scenery I meant the landscape (fields, deserts etc) as seen from
the aircraft. I suppose I mean default terrain bitmaps.

>I don't describe traditional `scenery' much because it must be greatly
>reduced as a trade-off for performance in my `low end hardware' case.
>So MESH and LC are favored while keeping the `scenery objects' to a
>minimum.
>
>Scenery generally means BGL files that define buildings, runways,
>trees, and other objects.. where as MESH are the terrain elevation
>gridwork files. LC are the bitmap definition files. That should be
>close to the precise definitions.

So, as I wish to have a more precise UK (hmmm..) I guess the first
thing I should get hold of is a mesh in a suitable resolution and see
how the default terrain looks when draped over it.

James

"James Hodson" <jUNDERSCOREhodson@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote in message

> So, as I wish to have a more precise UK (hmmm..) I guess the first
> thing I should get hold of is a mesh in a suitable resolution and see
> how the default terrain looks when draped over it.
>
> James

Hi James,

For REALLY realistic UK scenery you have to get the VFR Scenery series. The
whole of the UK from photographs, so you can see your street, house, rivers
etc. Not that cheap but well worth it for the sensation of seeing the
country from above. It makes the default MS scenery so boring afterwards.

http://www.visualflight.net/photoscenery/

Have fun
Sim

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:02:32 +0100, "Simon/Rosemary"
<root@simrose.co.uk> wrote:

>"James Hodson" <jUNDERSCOREhodson@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> So, as I wish to have a more precise UK (hmmm..) I guess the first
>> thing I should get hold of is a mesh in a suitable resolution and see
>> how the default terrain looks when draped over it.
>>

>For REALLY realistic UK scenery you have to get the VFR Scenery series. The
>whole of the UK from photographs, so you can see your street, house, rivers
>etc. Not that cheap but well worth it for the sensation of seeing the
>country from above. It makes the default MS scenery so boring afterwards.
>
>http://www.visualflight.net/photoscenery/

Thanks for that, Simon. I added to freeware UK mesh yesterday. I'll
post more about it in a different thread.

You said: "Not that cheap", and therein lies the problem. :-( I have
had a quick peek at the screenshots from
http://www.visualflight.net/photoscenery/ and was most impressed.

James