Vinny1783

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
I ordered a Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 a couple days ago, and delivery is set for tomorrow. Anyways, I was wondering if I should lap the HS or not. Would it be best to wait until it arrives and make sure the surface is flat? I have read a few posts of people lapping this HS and was wondering if this is something I should consider, as I want to make sure to get supplies today. Comments?Tips?Opinions?

Thanks in advance guys.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
As long as you pay attention to what you are doing, there is virtually no risk. You should always evaluate the piece before you lap it.

For instance, my TRUE, everyone says that you should lap it, and from all the pics, I can see why, convex or mis shaped. However, when I got mine, I pulled it out and took a peek at the surface contact area, and it looks damned flat to me. I think I gained 1 c from the TRUE for lapping it, and near 3 c for lapping the processor!

(Lapped 4 heat sinks and like 6 processors so far!)

--Lupi

Verillion

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
Yeah, honestly there is absolutely no reason not to lap your HS, even if it is 100% perfectly flat. The reason TO lap it, is because the bottom of it is covered in nickel, which doesn't conduct heat as well as copper. So lap both, or better yet, take off the IHS of your processor and enjoy cool times!

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I wonder if he realizes that he'd have to lap the latch thingie as well, once you remove that IHS, because the IHS is what makes it tall enough to even reach your heat sink.

It is an interesting idea... and a properly modded cooler may actually be better. if you can find one to sit on the now small chip looking thing you've exposed by removing the IHS.

--Lupi

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
i have lapped the AC7Pro.

tell you its the hardest air cooler to lap!! you will need to find or actually custom make a piece of glass thats narrower then the clips on the cooler. because the clip is lifting the heatsink off. i really dont think its a good idea to take that clip off.

get something like this!
DSC00127.JPG