Laptop, 2 in 1, or tablet?

Ozzballz

Reputable
Feb 11, 2017
Afternoon peeps

I decided to go to college so my
BIG question is,
What type of handheld computer should I get?

To clear some things up,
I have yet to decide on what I would like to major in. However, concepts of software, engineering, web-development, coding, and design have caught my attention.
I am familiar with Microsoft and Apple OS but not Linux.
I am looking for something besides a desktop.
I do not have a budget.

Thank you in advance!

Having courses catch your attention is all well and good, but you don't mention what your intended usage for this device is. Knowing what you intend to use it for goes a long way for others help give the appropriate advice.

And by "I do not have a budget" do you mean you have very little to spend or money is no issue?

Ozzballz

Reputable
Feb 11, 2017
Having courses catch your attention is all well and good, but you don't mention what your intended usage for this device is. Knowing what you intend to use it for goes a long way for others help give the appropriate advice.

And by "I do not have a budget" do you mean you have very little to spend or money is no issue?
I apologize for not being as clear as I thought I was.
The intended use of the device would be based upon a variety of those courses that I stated above, but if I had to lean towards one or two of them it would be software development or engineering.
I do not have an issue with money.

If you intend to do actual work then a laptop would seem to be the most sensible choice (to me at least). The software you'll use will likely be PC-based, Windows or Linux. Certainly knowing something about the potential course materials would also aid you in making the decision.

There does seem to be some apps which can do some of the things your courses may require on an Android platform; though I still suspect a laptop would be far more flexible overall.

Ozzballz

Reputable
Feb 11, 2017
If you intend to do actual work then a laptop would seem to be the most sensible choice (to me at least). The software you'll use will likely be PC-based, Windows or Linux. Certainly knowing something about the potential course materials would also aid you in making the decision.

There does seem to be some apps which can do some of the things your courses may require on an Android platform; though I still suspect a laptop would be far more flexible overall.
Is there a direction you could point me towards?
Dell, Lenovo, Microsoft?

I would look more towards the specs of the laptop itself. Personally use a Lenovo myself.

CPU-wise. At least Intel i5 or Ryzen 5. Go for the '7' in either lineup if possible.
RAM: 16GB
GPU: A discrete GPU will give more graphical power (software dependent). Currently AMD's integrated graphics are better than Intel's.
Storage: At least 500GB if SSD.
Display: personal preference.

Not sure how relevant this is but you may find it of interest: https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-laptops-for-engineering-students

TRENDING THREADS