[SOLVED] laptop 60hz to 144hz monitor?

Oct 2, 2019
just bought a Predator Helios 300 () with i7-8750H - GTX 1060 6GB - 6GB RAM and a 60hz display, my laptop also have HDMI 2.0 output. I wonder if I can connect my laptop to a external monitor with higher refresh rate like 120hz/144hz through HDMI 2.0?
i was checking the monitor :
Acer KG251QF 24.5 144hz
but the monitor have FreeSync and I have nvidia graphicscard will it support? or do I need a G sync monitor ?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yes, the native refresh rate of the laptop panel is (mostly*) irrelevant when connected to an external display - providing you have an appropriate output from the laptop and input on the monitor. In this case, with HDMI 2.0

I can't find much on the monitor confirming it's actually 2.0 though.
One comment here would suggest 120Hz max, indicating HDMI 1.4.

FreeSync "works" with Nvidia GPUs these days.

*I say mostly, as you can run into potential hiccups if using both displays in tandem and spanning a program/game/application across both.

Oct 2, 2019
An HDMI to DisplayPort adapter won't give you any higher capabilities than HDMI is capable of.
So there's absolutely noway that I can get 144hz and free sync monitor on my laptop? Do i really need G- Sync or Free -Sync. I do gaming alot. But if I have HDMI 2.0 will is still working if I using 1.4 HDMI if the monitor only support 1.4?