Question Laptop 80 celsius when watching YouTube video.

Sep 28, 2019
Hello.
I'm new here.
I wanted to ask help for my thermal issues.

Usually when my laptop is idle its around 70-80 celsius and when i'm watching videos from YouTube its around 75-85 celsius.
On log in or boot in its 60-70 celsius.

My laptop is Asus X555L and i've been using it for 3 years. It has Intel Core i5 CPU and NVIDIA Geforce 940 GPU. Maximum temp is: 105 celsius and im using CoreTemp to check temperatures. I use Firefox as my main browser with 4 plugins. 2 adblockers, LastPass and F-Secure browsing protection. Never opened laptop case and is always plugged in. Not playing video games that much, only Solitaire. Thats the all information i can get. Hopefully you can help me with this problem. I have also thought opening the laptop and removing all the dust with compressed air.

Fuad

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Hello,
Did you run a virus / malware scan? can you assure that your laptop is virus / malware free?
Also, what is the cpu usage (use task manager to view) in both idle and viewing youtube (meaning you read the cpu utilization in task manager as soon as you boot up and before you open any program, and also read it again when viewing youtube).
Also, do you hear the cpu fan running and feel hot air coming out of the ventilation area in the side of laptop?

Sep 28, 2019
Hello,
Did you run a virus / malware scan? can you assure that your laptop is virus / malware free?
Also, what is the cpu usage (use task manager to view) in both idle and viewing youtube (meaning you read the cpu utilization in task manager as soon as you boot up and before you open any program, and also read it again when viewing youtube).
Also, do you hear the cpu fan running and feel hot air coming out of the ventilation area in the side of laptop?
Boot Up: 40%-100% (with Notepad++ and Task Manager on. Task Manager CPU Usage is around 0,5%-15%. Some apps taking a lot of CPU on startup
Dropbox, F-Secure and Some Microsoft apps.)

YouTube playing a video: 0,2%-45%, Mostly around 20%-25%

Firefox loading YouTube video: 30%-50%

Firefox it self loading YouTube: 20%-40%

Idle: (Firefox with YouTube open, Notepad++ open and Task Manager open): 25%-37%

Idle 2: (Firefox closed, Notepad++ closed but Task Manager open): 23%-30%

Firefox opening website: 35%-45%

I would also like to mention that i didnt put the total CPU usage except on Boot Up. I just looked at the Firefox CPU Usage part.

Last edited: