[SOLVED] Laptop always goes to the BIOS after NVMe is installed

Jan 23, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I have an old laptop and I bought a new one that has an HDD and a SATA M.2 SSD. I have cloned the HDD with my old Laptop and disabling the secure boot I was able to boot from the HDD. Then I replaced the SATA SSD with a NVMe SSD and now when I turn on the Laptop it goes to the BIOS instead of booting from the HDD. My idea was to clone from the HDD to the NVMe but I'm always landing on the BIOS. There is no boot option for me to change like boot order or anything. I changed to use AHCI back and forth and nothing. The HDD and the NVMe are being recognized on the BIOS.

Thank you for your help!

Solution
Does it boot with the HDD and SATA drive attached ? If so, then the problem is not the HDD.

It came with M.2 SATA and you do not have any official spec stating that it supports NVMe ?

Do you have the latest bios ?

The fact that the drive shows under SATA and also has an NVMe description in bios just seems confused and does not establish the board should boot/support NVMe. What you read online needs verification which it appears you could dispel.

IMHO If you have the latest bios and it does not boot with the NVMe drive attached then that's it. I am not really surprised though that it will not work and would be if it did ( absent a spec to the contrary). Laptops are very constrained machines with little flexibility and not...
Jan 23, 2019

Yes, it shows the NVMe disk on the BIOS under SATA. There is a section called NVMe that shows the disk size and model, so I'm assuming that yes. I also found a post from someone else saying that was able to use NVMe on this laptop

Does it boot with the HDD and SATA drive attached ? If so, then the problem is not the HDD.

It came with M.2 SATA and you do not have any official spec stating that it supports NVMe ?

Do you have the latest bios ?

The fact that the drive shows under SATA and also has an NVMe description in bios just seems confused and does not establish the board should boot/support NVMe. What you read online needs verification which it appears you could dispel.

IMHO If you have the latest bios and it does not boot with the NVMe drive attached then that's it. I am not really surprised though that it will not work and would be if it did ( absent a spec to the contrary). Laptops are very constrained machines with little flexibility and not designed for much DIY. WYSIWYG.

Solution
Jan 23, 2019

I saw other posts that mention that is supported, besides seen another laptop that is being sold in Amazon with NVMe. I'm assuming I have the latest BIOS as this laptop was released last week.

Thanks!

Two thoughts

Take the drive to a machine that has a modern board and actually boots that type, maybe the drive is off .That happens lots !

Also, although notebooks appear similar, the components can be changed from time to time even within a model line.