Question Laptop apparently overheating after physical damage ?

Dec 1, 2020
I have an Acer Aspire A715-71G which unfortunately was subject to pressure-induced damage on its upper part, leading to bending and malfunction of the screen. Since I don't have money for repairing the screen right now, I decided to hook it up to a TV screen via HDMI for the time being.

But then I noticed that the fans keep working on heavy duty whenever it's on, even for tasks it would probably not really require much processing. MSI afterburner says the GPU is around 34°C in idle. I decided to try running Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, which I would usually be able to get running around 30 FPS. After the damage, though, the game runs at around 15 FPS and stutters a lot, with GPU temperature soon reaching 94°C.

In short, I didn't use to keep track of the temperature before the damage so I'm not really sure if it's changed, but the fan sure works a lot more and performance seems to be decreased. What is odd is that I feel like the problem is actually how the computer is detecting th temperature, since it doesn't seem reasonable that it reaches these so quickly, and it also doesn't seem as hot to touch as it would usually get while running MFS2020 before the damage. I tried cleaning the fans, but there was no change. I feel like the obvious advice here would be to take it to a professional, but I was wondering if there's anything else I can do to understand the problem a little better and maybe even solve it if it's indeed a software issue?

Thanks in advance.

Ralston18

Titan
There is an obvious problem.

I would stop using the laptop, Especially for playing games and simulators.

Continued use may cause repairable damage to become non-repairable or cause other now working components to be damaged.

Voting for repair shop. Do be careful about the choice of "professional". Check them out beforehand.

Note: if you have not already done so remember to back up all data. Remember that under the described circumstances just backing up data could be problematic.

Dec 1, 2020
There is an obvious problem.

I would stop using the laptop, Especially for playing games and simulators.

Continued use may cause repairable damage to become non-repairable or cause other now working components to be damaged.

Voting for repair shop. Do be careful about the choice of "professional". Check them out beforehand.

Note: if you have not already done so remember to back up all data. Remember that under the described circumstances just backing up data could be problematic.
Thanks for the advice. I will refrain from using the computer until I can take it to a repair shop.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS