Laptop appears bricked

nkolab

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
I have an ASUS ROG Strix GL553VE laptop that suddenly refuses to boot. I was using it normally, and then it froze up for a few minutes. I then did a force shutdown. Upon rebooting, I was directed straight into the BIOS, which was entirely frozen as well. I shut the laptop down again, and now nothing works. Now, when I boot up, my screen is entirely black (no backlight) and is unresponsive. I cannot enter the BIOS, reach a recovery screen, and now and the screen remains black indefinitely. The keyboard, which has RGB backlighting, performs the default wave animation on startup and remains lit while the screen is off, the fans run, and the hard drive whizzes a little bit, however I get no feedback. The laptop's warranty has expired. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Since the warranty is expired, I would suggest removing AC power from the wall, cracking it open and disconnecting both the main battery, as well as the little CMOS battery attached to the motherboard. The main battery is easy to disconnect, unfortunately the CMOS battery is attached to the under side of the motherboard when you open up the laptop casing. I found a guide on how to do this, but if you're not comfortable completely disassembling the machine, maybe get a friend to do it:

https://www.laptopmain.com/asus-rog-gl553ve-disassembly-ram-ssd-and-hdd-upgrade-guide/
Since the warranty is expired, I would suggest removing AC power from the wall, cracking it open and disconnecting both the main battery, as well as the little CMOS battery attached to the motherboard. The main battery is easy to disconnect, unfortunately the CMOS battery is attached to the under side of the motherboard when you open up the laptop casing. I found a guide on how to do this, but if you're not comfortable completely disassembling the machine, maybe get a friend to do it:

https://www.laptopmain.com/asus-rog-gl553ve-disassembly-ram-ssd-and-hdd-upgrade-guide/

Solution