[SOLVED] Laptop asus crash on game and youtube

Dec 1, 2021
I have a laptop Asus F550J with an i7-4720hq, 8gb of ram ddr3, integrated hd graphics 4600 and nvidia geforce gtx 950m. I got this laptop a few weeks ago for free from my professor who got it from some corporation or something that didn't need it anymore. The laptop works really decent but it has a problem. I tried playing Valorant on it 2 times and it crashed both times after 4-5 minutes of playing. The laptop froze with a sound like the old tv's were making when they didn't have a cable inserted and on display i couldn't see anything, everything got pixelated with shades of violet and all sorts of colours, i panicked, unplugged the laptop then turn it back on and everything was fine. I tought it's an error from valorant or something because in csgo is working just fine, i played an hour and so and nothing happend. The problem is that today the same crash happened when i was on youtube, the laptop wasn't heated and i wasn't running anything in the background that would put stress on the componenets. After the crash i unplugged it and everything works again, the windows doesn't register that this is an error from what i can say because it started normally, no windows recovery or troubleshoot. What do you think the cause is? I tought the crashes were from overheating or some error with valorant but it seems it isn't. I suspected the gpus but i don't think it s them either because on games the 950m is used and on youtube the integrated one is used and the chances for them to have the same crash are low. Maybe is the ram. this is from the event viewer, all 3 crashes that happened until now have the same data in them:
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 12/1/2021 12:44:03 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DESKTOP-9R6T
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="\[http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/20...hemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event)">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>8</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-12-01T10:44:03.1477801Z" />
<EventRecordID>1589</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-9R6TF4Q</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">5</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">0</Data>
<Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I don't know what you're expecting from a near decade old laptop but it seems like the laptop has overheating issues. You might want to first see if the laptop has any BIOS updates pending. Then you can turn your attention to the OS, if it's on Windows 10, that you're on the latest version(not edition). As for your laptop, once you've looked at the software side of things, power down and discharge the laptop to disassemble it and see if there's any dust/debris clogging up the venting of the laptop's cooler. Now would also be a good time to replace the thermal paste on on the heatware with something from Arctic, Noctua or Thermal Grizzly.

Lutfij

Titan

I don't know what you're expecting from a near decade old laptop but it seems like the laptop has overheating issues. You might want to first see if the laptop has any BIOS updates pending. Then you can turn your attention to the OS, if it's on Windows 10, that you're on the latest version(not edition). As for your laptop, once you've looked at the software side of things, power down and discharge the laptop to disassemble it and see if there's any dust/debris clogging up the venting of the laptop's cooler. Now would also be a good time to replace the thermal paste on on the heatware with something from Arctic, Noctua or Thermal Grizzly.

Reactions: Ionatto
Solution
Dec 1, 2021

Thank you for your answer, i will try that.