[SOLVED] Laptop audio card not working

glanzarini

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
Hi everyone!

I have a Lenovo G50 70 laptop running Windows 10. Lately the computer started having issues, first with the microphone (no recording or very low volume) and now with the audio (no sound at all).

I tried updating the drivers, running Lenovo hardware diagnostic software and windows audio problem solving tool, but to no avail.

The bottom right tray icon is showing a speaker with a red cross and it says no output audio devices are installed.

Con anyone please help me address this problem?

Thank you so much for your help.

G

Solution
Sounds like your sound card somehow failed. Get a usb one and see if that works. If so, then that's your permanent workaround unless you have a warranty to repair the motherboard.

glanzarini

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
Hi SamirD and thanks for your quick answer!

I will definitely try with an external USB card. I didn't even know such things existed.

I have one more question. As far as I understand the external audio card will not be able to use my laptop microphone and speakers. I guess I will have to either buy one with a built in speaker and microphone or I can buy a cheap one and plug in an old microphone and speakers. Is that right?

In the meanwhile is there a good hardware diagnostic software that you can recommend to check the status of my internal audio card and if I have other failed components?

Thanks again!

G