Laptop backlight does not turn on anymore

Peter Lamberg

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
Hello,

My wife has been having a problem with her laptop's backlight for a while now. When I use a flashlight I can faintly see the image on the laptop screen, and external HDMI monitors still works fine. A few days ago I tried to be a hero and installed a replacement screen for the laptop. The screen then worked excellently... for about a day. It suddenly blacked out while she was working with it. She said it happened while clicking on some Windows 10 message.

She has a Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 (past warranty, unfortunately), and the Windows 10 update. We have tried some regular stuff, such as fiddling with drivers, removing weird windows apps, messing with msconfig, toggling backlight button etc. Not even when booting in safe mode does it light up. When I boot it up the screen briefly flashes one or two times before running in "dark mode".

So right now I have some suspicions. It could be a Windows 10 compatibility problem, meaning it can be solved if we do a windows recovery with original OS. Or it could be a cable or connector glitching, since it blacked out while she was also moving the laptop.

I tried searching the forum, but did not find a similar problem.
I would appreciate your input!

/Peter

Solution
If you could faintly see the images on the screen with a flashlight the backlight is not the problem. With a bad backlight you can't see anything. Very faint images means your inverter is bad and needs to be replaced.

Replace your inverter and everything should be back to normal

darksky1x

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
If you could faintly see the images on the screen with a flashlight the backlight is not the problem. With a bad backlight you can't see anything. Very faint images means your inverter is bad and needs to be replaced.

Replace your inverter and everything should be back to normal

Solution

TRENDING THREADS