[SOLVED] Laptop battery drains when plugged in when performing heavy tasks

Couch_Potato123

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
Well, im posting this thread because recently I bought a MSI GF65 thin and when I play heavy games it drains my pcs battery somehow.
My laptop specs:
i7 10750H
RTX2060
16GB ram ddr4
512GB ssd

The charger is a 180W 19.5V and 9.23A charger that came with the computer. The laptop uses the same voltage that charger provides so I don't know the issue.

Solution
It seems that under heavy load the laptop is taking more than the 180w that the power supply can provide. Therefore it also uses power from the battery. Only solution is either reducing the load and power requirement (cap game FPS is an easy way) or see if MSI sell a higher power supply for your laptop.
It seems that under heavy load the laptop is taking more than the 180w that the power supply can provide. Therefore it also uses power from the battery. Only solution is either reducing the load and power requirement (cap game FPS is an easy way) or see if MSI sell a higher power supply for your laptop.

Reactions: Couch_Potato123
Solution

Couch_Potato123

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
Will that harm my laptops battery?

Couch_Potato123

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
I don’t see why. Actually keeping a batter at full charge all the time can decrease it’s life. My Dell G5 has the option for users who predominantly have the laptop plugged in to enable a feature that stops it charging at a lower %, mine is set to stop when it reaches 80%.
Yeah i enabled that too but thanks for the help, so I dont see the need to change charger. Im afraid that if i change for a higher potency charger i can harm hardware at some point of its lifetime.