Question Laptop battery is at 0% and won't charge ?

Jamlev

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
I have a Lenovo Ideapad Slim 3 that is just over a year old.

Yesterday, the battery was showing 0% despite it being plugged in for the past few days. Now it won't charge at all.

Here's what I've tested:
  • Check the adaptor output, it is producing 20v
  • Physically remove and replace battery (had to take the machine apart to do this)
  • Delete driver for MS AC adaptor and reinstall
  • Run latest updates on Windows 11
  • Leave machine off, charging overnight

None of these things have helped. Is it a dead battery and needed to be sent back under warranty (really don't want to do this as it involves posting it away for months) or is it a software issue? Anything else I can try?
Thx in advance.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Using the serial number on the bottom of your Lenovo, use that into their support portal to bring up a page bespoke to your laptop. Check and see if it's got any BIOS updates pending.

Physically remove and replace battery (had to take the machine apart to do this)
Did you replace the battery with a genuine part or are you referring to replacing the same battery that the laptop came shipped with, back in.

You might want to also inspect the rest of your laptops motherboard PCB for signs of burns or damages.

Try charging the laptop while the laptop is turned off.

Jamlev

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
Thanks for getting back to me, to update this thread it has now been solved as a dead battery.

I got in touch with Lenovo who had a tech remote access the machine and run some diagnostics. They said it was the mainboard so sent a tech out to replace it under warranty. The problem remained.

I ordered a replacement battery (not covered under warranty) and all is good. Just shows you that even the big companies get it wrong (though it may have been mobo+battery, but unlikely).