[SOLVED] Laptop Battery wont charge

May 6, 2021
I've had my laptop for 3+ years, it's an Asus f556u, and the other day infound that the charging cord was broken almost completely through and was sparking. So, I unplugged it and bought a new cord but the battery still wouldn't charge. I bought a new battery and replaced it. when I turned on the laptop and plugged it in it looked like the laptop recognized that it was plugged in but it still won't charge at all and now the charge that the new battery had is gone and the laptop won't turn on at all. Any ideas?

Solution
Is the new battery an official Asus battery or a 3rd party battery? I see 2 things here. I've never had a good experience with a 3rd party battery, they often don't work properly and if they do work they usually die in a few months. However you mention sparking from the charging cable, its possible this has damaged the charging circuit in the laptop.
Is the new battery an official Asus battery or a 3rd party battery? I see 2 things here. I've never had a good experience with a 3rd party battery, they often don't work properly and if they do work they usually die in a few months. However you mention sparking from the charging cable, its possible this has damaged the charging circuit in the laptop.

Solution
May 6, 2021
It's a 3rd party battery I got from Amazon that said it would work in my specific model. I wondered about the possibility of the damage from the sparking. So I wondered about replacing the power jack socket connector

Some laptop makers have embedded circuitry in their batteries to manage charging.
Non original batteries may simply not work.
Return the battery as not compatible and buy an original OEM replacement.

Not a bad idea to replace the charger also. A spark is not good news.

InvalidError

Titan
I agree with sizzling, the charging circuitry inside the laptop is likely damaged from bad input power.

If the power adapter brick was shorting and sparking, it is quite likely that power was flowed backwards from the battery through the laptop's power input circuitry into the short and fried something such as the input protection circuitry. If you are lucky, the only thing your laptop needs is an input protection fuse replacement. If you are slightly less lucky, it may require a new reverse-polarity and discharge protection FET and diode. If you have bad luck, additional input circuitry may also have been fried.

May 6, 2021
Thank you for the help, it sounds like I'm pretty much sol unless I want to replace the motherboard which I don't think will be worth it. I should still be able to recover data from the hard drive just fine then right? It's not like it was damaged or crashed or anything