Question Laptop bettery display stuck at 100% even after usage

d_a_renoir

Prominent
Apr 24, 2022
I recently replaced the battery in my ASUS ROG G750JW. The battery charges up normally after replacement so I wasn't paying much attention.
However, I recently realized that the battery display is stuck at 100% and never comes down, even after using it for some time. One day I was using it extensively, not realizing that the battery level indicator is not decreasing at all. Eventually it shuts off because the battery has drained. I even thought there's something wrong with the replacement battery again, as I didn't realize the battery has drained.
But when I plug it in and turn it back on, it shows 0% power. I leave it to charge, and it does indeed charge back up normally as before. However, once it hits 100%, it's stuck at 100% again.
I'm not sure what to do to fix this display issue?

d_a_renoir

Prominent
Apr 24, 2022
Source for the replacement battery?

Will the laptop provide a battery report?

Reference (old link but should be valid regarding powercfg in Post #2).

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106096-Reliable-battery-for-G750J

I called a local technician and got the battery off him, not sure where he got it from.

Is this a battery issue or just a calibartion/display error? I've looked up this symptoms online and similar cases reported turned out to be a calibration issue.

The battery still charges just fine. It just won't show the power level decreasing when in use on battery mode and not plugged in.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"called a local technician and got the battery off him, not sure where he got it from ".

Not real assuring but, "it is what it is" so unlikely that much else can be done there....

If the battery is charging just fine and working well then the problem is likely just a calibration issue.

However, there may be other thoughts and comments posted by other members with direct knowledge of the laptop and battery. I have no problem with that.

In the meantime, keep an eye on the battery for signs of swelling, leaking, overheating, etc..

And, as you always should be doing, ensure that all important laptop data is backed up at least 2 x to locations off of the laptop. Verify that all backed up data is recoverable and readable.

Just in case battery and/or laptop decide to quit.

d_a_renoir

Prominent
Apr 24, 2022
Laptop batteries may include chips for various functions.
"compatible" batteries may not have this.
An effort, in part to insure Asus replacement battery sales.
See if you can't get the local seller to replace with a battery that fully works.

So do you mean this is an issue with the battery being faulty from the get-go?

d_a_renoir

Prominent
Apr 24, 2022
I had my laptop looked at, and it looks like the replacement one is wonky too due to "being shelved for too long". I can still use it in the meantime while I place an order fpr a fresh one.

Solved, thread can now be closed.