News Laptop BIOS password reset technique uses contorted paperclips stuffed into a parallel port

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
The most interesting thing in my view is all of that exposed metal and not one is accidentally touching.

And why doesn't simply disconnecting the BIOS battery clear it out?

Leptir

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
I can understand tech nostalgia. The late 70s and the entire 80s were exciting times, personal computers were new, every new product was unique, had something special. Even the early 90s had some exciting tech, like the early IBM ThinkPad laptops, including my personal favorite – the butterfly keyboard 701C from 1995.

But by the time we get to the 2000s and this Toshiba Satellite, laptops were commodity products, bland and boring. I really don’t see the appeal of this Toshiba, but to each their own.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Wow haven't seen a laptop with a parallel port in decades. lol
I have a Pentium M laptop with a parallel port. Its usefulness is quickly becoming limited, as 32-bit support in popular Linux distros decays. So, your options boil down to either running a 6-10 year old Linux distro on it or an obsolete 32-bit copy of MS Windows. Did Windows 10 even have a 32-bit version?

BTW, if you have a parallel port cable you can plug into a bread board, that would be a much easier/safer way to implement this hack. It doesn't need to be pretty, since clearing the password should be just a one-time thing and then you can disconnect it.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a Pentium M laptop with a parallel port. Its usefulness is quickly becoming limited, as 32-bit support in popular Linux distros decays. So, your options boil down to either running a 6-10 year old Linux distro on it or an obsolete 32-bit copy of MS Windows. Did Windows 10 even have a 32-bit version?

BTW, if you have a parallel port cable you can plug into a bread board, that would be a much easier/safer way to implement this hack. It doesn't need to be pretty, since clearing the password should be just a one-time thing and then you can disconnect it.
I kept an old Dell laptop (PII/III?) around for much longer than it was good.
Only because it was the only portable device I had with a serial port, and than is what the OBDII cable I had needed.

Supplanted by USB, and now bluetooth to tablet or phone.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I kept an old Dell laptop (PII/III?) around for much longer than it was good.
Only because it was the only portable device I had with a serial port, and than is what the OBDII cable I had needed.
Heh, that's what I used it for. Volkswagen has their own CAN-bus based interface and the VAG-com adapter I bought wouldn't work with just any USB -> parallel adapter. There was something weird about the protocol, where I think it needed to change the port's datarate multiple times during a single command!

I would be surprised if all OEMs didn't have some sort of custom reset tool , replicated here with paperclips, intended for IT departments to quickly reset the BIOS password prior to Windows 7. Bitlocker wasn't released until 2007, late in XP's life cycle, and for most organizations disk encryption wasn't used until Windows 7.