Question Laptop black screen on boot, Windows 10

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
So I have a quite old Laptop which stopped working and wouldn’t boot a few years ago, I have gone back to it to try and fix it. It had windows 7 on.

i decided to install windows 10 creation tool media onto my USB stick and to plug that into my laptop and load up using bios and to open that up, I then clicked install now and deleted all partitions and to install windows 10 as a fresh install.

this worked but my computer was really slow and nothing would load and it would freeze constantly, so I decided to try again and do a complete fresh reinstall with windows 10.

this time I deleted all partitions and clicked install, but it froze during the windows 10 installation and I was left with no choice but hold the power button.

Now I have a problem with booting altogether, without the USB stick it just has a black screen with a white flashing line in the top left of the screen, I reboot and boot using my USB, the windows 10 logo appears with a loading circle for a few seconds which then goes into a black screen with nothing appearing or happening (usually it loads up the media creation) the USB is flashing but the HDD light or whatever on the laptop is not flashing. im not sure what else to try or how to fix this.

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
Can you get to the cmos battery and remove it?
I managed to fix it and install windows, however my laptop is running extremely slow, every time I click on something it freezes for a bit etc, I have tried defraging the HDD, nothing. The HDD has plenty of space on top, 400GB

atm I am running a chkdsk and rebooted so it is fixing C: apparently

Last edited: