[SOLVED] Laptop black-screens so often ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2020
So few days ago, i got this issue where my laptop would suddenly freeze and the screen goes black while using a lightweight program that's youtube (google chrome).
Somehow, the entire laptop will freeze, the sound broke (the one that sounds like "EEEEEEEEE"), and it goes to a black screen until i restart it via the button.

didn't think it was a serious problem, i though it was just an occasional crash.
but then it appears again while i'm running Microsoft word. after that it just happens so often whenever i open an application for too long.
it shouldn't be the cpu/gpu temperature because they're only going 41 - 60 deg celsius at it's highest.

tell me if i should add more details to solve this problem.
thanks!

Solution
And one last thing, before the ram arrived, I tried to fix it manually, turns out it was all happening due to the HPET being deactivated.

I enable it back and my laptop no longer has any issues regarding crashes
So few days ago, i got this issue where my laptop would suddenly freeze and the screen goes black while using a lightweight program that's youtube (google chrome).
Somehow, the entire laptop will freeze, the sound broke (the one that sounds like "EEEEEEEEE"), and it goes to a black screen until i restart it via the button.

didn't think it was a serious problem, i though it was just an occasional crash.
but then it appears again while i'm running Microsoft word. after that it just happens so often whenever i open an application for too long.
it shouldn't be the cpu/gpu temperature because they're only going 41 - 60 deg celsius at it's highest.

tell me if i should add more details to solve this problem.
thanks!
How old is the laptop? Make and model?

Apr 14, 2020
I believe it's 7 years old as of now, I switched the storage unit a month ago, and the laptop is an Asus a550c From Q4 2014.
Here Are the specifications:
  • Intel core i5 3337u
  • Intel hd4000 But can switch to gt 720m If needed
  • 4gb of ram
  • ssd 128gb

When I used an application for too long, a black box will show up when I select an app in the desktop (sometimes the screen immediately black out) and it will go black

Apr 14, 2020
It turns out my ram is full, trigerring this "memory allocation failed" message before parts of my screen starts to black out and crash with BSOD in the end.

Is there a way out of this problem other than having to buy more Ram?

You're running Windows with FAR too few resources. You need no less than a 250GB SSD and 8GB RAM for good performance. More is always better. Setting a bigger starting size for the page file just pushes the problem a minute or two further down the road. It's only a bandaid.

Apr 14, 2020
solu
You're running Windows with FAR too few resources. You need no less than a 250GB SSD and 8GB RAM for good performance. More is always better. Setting a bigger starting size for the page file just pushes the problem a minute or two further down the road. It's only a bandaid.
How do I know my ram compatibility (I want to add one more to make it a dual channel) ?
I know my ram brand is hynix ddr3 1600mhz 4gb, but how do I known if it's a ddr3 L version or just ddr3?

Apr 14, 2020
And one last thing, before the ram arrived, I tried to fix it manually, turns out it was all happening due to the HPET being deactivated.

I enable it back and my laptop no longer has any issues regarding crashes

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.