Laptop boot failure

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Joe Diesel

Reputable
May 31, 2015
Here's what I got. I leave my laptop on most times. Went for lunch came home and it was loading slow and windows explorer was froze completely could not get to task manager so I hard restart and now it won't load anything.

warning I'm not the best at taking things apart and putting them back together so please understand if I have to shoot you a message for a simpler explanation.

It keeps showing up with the loading circle then blue screen "theres an issue" message and before I can even read a line of the screen it restarts and repeats. I can't get to f2 or f10. I took the back off that covers the hard drive and ram. I swapped the ram and nothing.

When I unplugged the hard drive I was able to get the bios? Options by hitting f2 or f10. I did a memory check all clear. Plugged hard drive back in and and restart and I'm back to not being able to do anything.

Joe Diesel

Reputable
May 31, 2015
I'm not sure how to do a clean install? I have another hp laptop to use for now so if I have to download I can. I think my license key should still work if I can download it again from somewhere

Reyaz123

Admirable

The hardware for your laptop, and your other computer can detect whether you are using a certain version of windows already. Copying the key would not work because that license key is embedded into your bios when you first purchased it. It prevents people from copying their version of windows over to their other computer for free (I know, not cool).

Either you can download a windows/linux OS and burn it to a cd, and install it from there.
You can also contact microsoft on this issue and they could help you if you already had a previous version of windows on that system. They should give you the exact version, provided you remember the specs on your system.

But if you know the exact version of windows you were using on that same pc, download and burn a bootable windows cd with the correct version of windows (Windows 7 or 8 premium, basic, ultimate. Also take in account whether if it was a 32-bit or 64-bit OS

It should work then.

Joe Diesel

Reputable
May 31, 2015
Well it's the same bios even with a different hard drive right? So the original key wouldn't work?

As far as downloading is there a place you can download it or is that more something you can't discuss eg. Windows sites or Torrent sites

Reyaz123

Admirable
Yep, you can do that too but it can't be discussed on here of course. Calling microsoft is always an option because they helped a guy on the forums here reinstall his pc on another hard drive where he provided the specs of his computer and found the correct version of windows.

Joe Diesel

Reputable
May 31, 2015
Microsoft sent me to HP and HP wasn't to sell me the recovery for as much as Windows 8 costs. Awesome. I have no idea where to get the ISO legit and I certainly don't want to download something that comes with a virus.

Reyaz123

Admirable

Linux is free. You can download it from this site http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop.
You can use that for now until you get this windows issue sorted out.

Not sure if you tried this already
http://www.redmondpie.com/download-windows-8-iso-x86-x64-file-directly-from-microsoft/