[SOLVED] Laptop boot loop?

James Bradley

Honorable
Mar 17, 2014
Hey guys, any advice or help would be awesome.
Have a predator helios 300, it was fine for just over a year (you know, when the warranty was in place) but all the sudden the fan started clicking. I could blow into the side to get it to spin and the noise would go away. So I intended on ordering a replacement, and I did. (Its not in yet)

The next day, I went to boot it up and it wouldn't make it past the predator screen before powering off and trying again. I'd press f2 to get into bios and it would still just cycle again.

I opened it up disconnected the battery from the board (no quick slot on the bottom) and drained it of all power and than tried on the pure power cord. Same power cycle at the same exact spots. I tried removing cmos battery, re-seating any and all cables, ram, etc.

I turned it on, went right through to the window login. Fan that was giving me issues is now spinning without help but you can hear mechanically that its failing/restricted (not by anything external including case) and im assuming whatever it was may be fixed.

That lasted about 10 mins before it died and started the boot looping again.

I let it sit overnight and got it to start. I decided to check system Temps since it was running. Used predator sense and cpuid hardware monitor, both showed nothing out of the normal. The moment I decided to take the fans off auto and hit max, it crashed and went into the boot loop. Took a full drain of the battery/system power to get it to make it to windows again...nothing showing in event logger.

This time, trying to narrow it down, I pressed the turbo button and instantly crashed and went back to boot looping.

I'm mechanically inclined and been building gaming PCs for myself for like 10 years. For the life of me I can't figure out whats next. Is this an obvious failure I dont know of? Like typical mother board failure? Power supply?(doesn't make sense since same issue on and off the charger)....or does the laptop have a way to notice its telling the fan to spin at say 3000rpms but its only at 700 so it forces a shut down?

Help?

Someone?

Please?

Solution
Fan might be causing the issue, not sure since i never seen predator helios series, if the fan is failing you sometimes get message (before entering OS) , or just bootloop. It might be many issues including power brick failing, or some component . When you get new fan, use isoprohyl alcohol 90%+ to clean old paste off gpu/cpu die and repaste with something like gc gelid extreme or noctua NT-H1 thermal paste. After you installed new fan/fans, see if the problem continues and we can start further testing. always remove main battery / power cable then press power button 10sec to discharge before disconnecting any connectors from the mobo
Fan might be causing the issue, not sure since i never seen predator helios series, if the fan is failing you sometimes get message (before entering OS) , or just bootloop. It might be many issues including power brick failing, or some component . When you get new fan, use isoprohyl alcohol 90%+ to clean old paste off gpu/cpu die and repaste with something like gc gelid extreme or noctua NT-H1 thermal paste. After you installed new fan/fans, see if the problem continues and we can start further testing. always remove main battery / power cable then press power button 10sec to discharge before disconnecting any connectors from the mobo

Solution