Laptop brings down wireless network

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

I have a Belkin wireless router/modem, providing network/Internet access to
my desktop PC and laptop. Both PC and laptop have Belkin 54g wi-fi cards.

About 3 or 4 times a day, the laptop brings down the network. I have to
reset the router/modem to recover. The network is fine if the laptop is not
active. This happens every day. The laptop is normally used in an upstairs
bedroom (the router is in a downstairs hall).

Any idea why this happens? And, if so, what I can do to eliminate or reduce
this annoyance?

All machines running XP Pro SR1.

Cheers.

Bobby wrote:
> I have a Belkin wireless router/modem, providing network/Internet
> access to my desktop PC and laptop. Both PC and laptop have Belkin
> 54g wi-fi cards.
>
> About 3 or 4 times a day, the laptop brings down the network. I have
> to reset the router/modem to recover. The network is fine if the
> laptop is not active. This happens every day. The laptop is normally
> used in an upstairs bedroom (the router is in a downstairs hall).
>
> Any idea why this happens? And, if so, what I can do to eliminate or
> reduce this annoyance?
>
> All machines running XP Pro SR1.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

Please explain "brings down the network".

rico

In article <c642i8$812sf$1@ID-205685.news.uni-berlin.de>, "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote:
>I have a Belkin wireless router/modem, providing network/Internet access to
>my desktop PC and laptop. Both PC and laptop have Belkin 54g wi-fi cards.
>
>About 3 or 4 times a day, the laptop brings down the network. I have to
>reset the router/modem to recover. The network is fine if the laptop is not
>active. This happens every day. The laptop is normally used in an upstairs
>bedroom (the router is in a downstairs hall).
>
>Any idea why this happens? And, if so, what I can do to eliminate or reduce
>this annoyance?
>
>All machines running XP Pro SR1.
>
>Cheers.
>
>Bobby

How do you set up the AP/Router? What I mean is, I have a linksys AP, it
provides a web interface http://192.168.x.x from which I configure it. How
does that work on your belkin?

Hi there bobby,

You may consider applying the latest drivers for the wireless adapters &
also the latest firmware for the router.

HTH
Venkatesh

"Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
> I have a Belkin wireless router/modem, providing network/Internet access
> my desktop PC and laptop. Both PC and laptop have Belkin 54g wi-fi cards.
>
> About 3 or 4 times a day, the laptop brings down the network. I have to
> reset the router/modem to recover. The network is fine if the laptop is
not
> active. This happens every day. The laptop is normally used in an upstairs
> bedroom (the router is in a downstairs hall).
>
> Any idea why this happens? And, if so, what I can do to eliminate or
reduce
> this annoyance?
>
> All machines running XP Pro SR1.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

The Network Connection icon goes red and the network icon has a cross
through it. I have to do a manual reset to get the signal back (which works
every time). The dropped signals seem to reduce if I bring the laptop closer
to the router.

Any ideas? Is this a common wi-fi problem? Or a common problem with Belkin
wi-fi kit? Cheers.

Bobby