Question Laptop Broken Standoff

Putra Hadiyanto

Commendable
Feb 1, 2021
Hey, my laptop was overheating and i was going to replace the thermal paste. When i checked inside i saw one of the standoff for the gpu screw was loose. I was able to get the heatsink off but after i changed the thermal paste i checked the temperaturea and it still overheating. Is there any way of fixing the standoff without a solder? I can't use a solder because i don't have it and i am not brave enough to use it.

My laptop spec :
Acer E5-475G
i5-7200u
8GB ddr4 ram
GT 940mx (overheating)
Windows 10 1909

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Might want to include an image of the broken standoff. If you're referring to the screw mount that's on the motherboard adjacent the heatware(GPU chip) you could use JB Weld but then again, it's best if you post a picture of the issue so you're not misinterpreting something else.

Also, you should be on version 20H2 for Windows 10. I'd also ask you to look into your laptop's BIOS version and see if you have any BIOS updates pending.

Putra Hadiyanto

Commendable
Feb 1, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Might want to include an image of the broken standoff. If you're referring to the screw mount that's on the motherboard adjacent the heatware(GPU chip) you could use JB Weld but then again, it's best if you post a picture of the issue so you're not misinterpreting something else.

Also, you should be on version 20H2 for Windows 10. I'd also ask you to look into your laptop's BIOS version and see if you have any BIOS updates pending.

Bios : InsydeCorp V1.09
GPU Bios : 82.07.9B.00.AB
Pic : https://pasteboard.co/JMjDJmF.jpg

I think bios is not the problem because a couple of months ago i already changed the thermal paste and the gpu temp is normal. But after a couple of months i saw a big spike in gpu temp, that's why i tried to change the thermal paste again.

Also thank you for the warm welcome