Question Laptop BSOD, then cant detect hard drive.

Feb 28, 2019
I have a strange one. I have a HP Pavilion laptop, Core i7-5500, 8GB memory and 250GB SSD. It starts and runs normally for about 20 - 30 minutes. Then it gets a BSOD, system service exception, and either freezes or restarts.

When it is restarted manually (or it sometimes restarts automatically by itself), it boots to a screen that tells me there is no boot drive detected. Sometimes it will take 2 or 3 restarts to see the boot drive, it boots to the desktop and then BSOD again shortly afterwards. If I walk away and give the PC 20 - 30 minutes, it boots 1st time, and works perfectly, for 20 - 30 minutes, then does the same thing.

So, I am thinking overheating. It overheats and something fails. Let it cool down, that overheated component works again. Downloaded and installed Speedfan, and none of the temps seem abnormally high. And.... it doesn't matter if the PC is sitting idle for 20 minutes, or running Heavy Load at 100%, or a graphics benchmarking tool. After the 20 30 minutes, it crashes again.

Any suggestions???

drglab

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
What HP Pavilion model is it?
Many of the Pavilion models are known for graphics issue, often related to overheating (or rather poor cooling design).

Sadlah

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
Boot drive wouldn't be overheating, make sure all your drivers are updated, also check where the hard drive is located in the laptop and make sure the hard drive is securely in place, it could be wobbling around in the laptop causing it to disconnect and reconnect

Feb 28, 2019
Hp Pavilion 15-p234tx.

I am aware of the poor cooling design in the dv-2000, dv6, dv9, etc. but this thing just doesn't seem to get that hot, either from the readings or touch. A hot dv6 can be so hot, you can get burnt picking it up. I suspected heat myself, but why the no boot disk after the BSOD?

It was upgraded to SSD from HDD about 2 years ago, worked perfectly until last week, and the SSD is held in place by a cage and 4 screws, it is not loose. I have checked that. I will update all the drivers (again) tomorrow, see how that goes. Thanks!