[SOLVED] Laptop buying advice, potential CPU bottleneck??

NightShade_7

Reputable
Nov 11, 2019
So I am looking to upgrade to a new laptop, and I found what seems to be a good deal on a midrange laptop. My usage is basic tasks for work and extended gaming sessions. I would love to get a desktop with the Ryzen goodness but my work requires me to travel often and thus, laptops. The laptop in question here is Asus TUF FX505DV. It's specs are:

Processor: Ryzen 7 3750H
Graphics: Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB
RAM: 16GB DDR4-2666MHz
SSD: 512 GB (Intel Optane 660p)
Display: 15.6" of the average laptop LCD but a refresh rate of 120Hz

It seemed too good a deal and I wasn't aware of Ryzen beating intel in the mobile segment so i decided to check on PC Builds' bottleneck calculator. And the site said the CPU bottlenecks the RTX 2060 by 15% , which is considered a poor hardware match according to the site. The much pricier combo of i7-9750H and RTX 2060 scores a bottleneck of 5%, and is considered a good hardware match. So id be giving up a clear lead by choosing the Ryzen one.

But how much of a performance hit in games would this mean, as in, would the 2060 at 15% bottleneck be rendered weaker than the 1660Ti? If so I have another option, which is only slightly pricier but still just within my budget and its an MSI laptop with an i7-9750H and a GTX 1660Ti, other specs same as above. I am not a fan of ray tracing in its current state so the RTX is just another option for me. Which one should I choose to buy?

Solution
Bottleneck apps are junk science disregard them.

If you want a laptop for gaming, pay attention to the cooling solution.
Bad cooling will throttle good hardware and give you poor performance.

Be aware that mobile graphics chips are not the same performance as desktop cards.
They are perhaps some 20% less powerful.

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.
If you play primarily fast action shooters, buy the strongest graphics option.
That would be the 2060 option.
If you play multiplayer games with many participants, buy the processor with extra threads. In this case the i7-9750H. 12 vs. 8
For most other games...
Bottleneck apps are junk science disregard them.

If you want a laptop for gaming, pay attention to the cooling solution.
Bad cooling will throttle good hardware and give you poor performance.

Be aware that mobile graphics chips are not the same performance as desktop cards.
They are perhaps some 20% less powerful.

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.
If you play primarily fast action shooters, buy the strongest graphics option.
That would be the 2060 option.
If you play multiplayer games with many participants, buy the processor with extra threads. In this case the i7-9750H. 12 vs. 8
For most other games like sims, mmo and strategy games, the single thread performance is all important. For those,
the 9750H is some 20% faster. Using a lesser graphics chip for those games would not hurt.

Solution

NightShade_7

Reputable
Nov 11, 2019
The notebookcheck.net game benchmarks have me confused as to which is the better option considering that the RTX 2060 will be experiencing a 15% bottleneck because of the Ryzen 3750H. I don't know how reliable PC builds' bottleneck calculator is, especially when you consider their other tools like PSU wattage calculator. But the game benchmarks on that site show that 1660Ti doesnt lose hard to the 2060. I see an fps difference of upto 15% in games, with the 1660Ti going neck and neck or even beating the 2060 although only slightly.