[SOLVED] Laptop caddy (enclosure) for NVMe M.2 Crucial CT1000P1SSD8 P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD

jakej1978

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I have a Lenovo Legion Y530. It has an SSD bay for a standard SSD drive.

I have two Crucial CT1000P1SSD8 1TB NVMe sticks. One of them is in the NVMe M-key slot, designated: M.2 Slot1x 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe (32Gb/s) (M-Key)

The factory drive was a 1TB Seagate in the 2.5 SSD bay, which I believe is a SATA-III PCI-e type interface. I removed it when I installed the NVMe.

However, now I've learned enclosures exists to add an NVMe stick to an SSD 2.5 slot. Almost everyone says not PCI-e NVMe compatible. I bought one I thought was compatible, but it doesn't work with my 2280m CT1000P1SSD8 Crucial NVMe, even though it fits. I did notice the peg inside the enclosure was also ever so slightly larger to insert my Crucial CT1000P1SSD8 NVMe without using some excessive force. Not sure if this is purposefully done to prevent incompatibility (which I ran into) or it was a manufacturing error. Regardless, the enclosure won't work.

What type of enclosure will work in the SSD 2.5 PCI-e slot with my NVMe Crucial CT1000P1SSD8 1TB stick? I noticed some enclosures even support dual NVMe (usually type NGFF?) sticks or say something about U2? No idea what that is.

If a single or a double enclosure is available, I'd be interested in purchasing one. Otherwise, I guess I'll just slap a faster and larger SSD in that slot.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
You cannot go from Sata to NVME.
No one will make an adapter because it's pointless. All you will end up doing is dropping an NVME drive down to the same speeds as a good Sata SSD - because that is all the Sata interface on the motherboard can do.

The adapter you bought is for a Sata M2 drive, not an NVME, and is not a single bit faster then its 2.5" counterpart.

popatim

Titan
You cannot go from Sata to NVME.
No one will make an adapter because it's pointless. All you will end up doing is dropping an NVME drive down to the same speeds as a good Sata SSD - because that is all the Sata interface on the motherboard can do.

The adapter you bought is for a Sata M2 drive, not an NVME, and is not a single bit faster then its 2.5" counterpart.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS