Laptop can see but can't use network printer

I can see the printer on the network, but when I try to print from the
laptop i get an 'access denied' message. When I try to add the printer
to my laptop i will sometimes get so far as being asked for a
password. The only other computer on the network is my desktop - I'm
the administrator on both machines - and I have never used an
administrator password. Can somebody please help before I go bald?

TIA

Lybbe

You do have the printer set as a shared printer, right?
I recently had a similar problem with shared folders and printer
sharing. Problem was related to Acronis True Image and Norton AV.

Can you "see" and open shared folders?