Laptop cannot detect its internal hard drive

saurabh96

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014
Well so I have my 3 year old, sister's laptop
It cannot detect its internal hard drive
My sister said that she had those problems thrice but the warranty got it fixed by changing its hard drive
So the hard drive got ruined 3 times on the laptop
And it is happening again
Hard drive cannot be detected in the BIOS menu also
So what is the problem here?

Solution

May or may not be a problem in the laptop.
When they replaced the HDD before, they may have done it with refurbished HDD.
It is also possible that the laptop mobo is at fault, is sending erratic current to the HDD and ruining it. That is why you are getting the problem repeatedly.
The second case is very rare and I have seen just 2 such cases, however the first one is more common.
If the HDD was just booting and restarting, I would have told you to check its SMART attributes as it would have given the clue as to why it is happening, but since it is not even being detected by the BIOS, that is not possible and every possibility is left to guesswork.

Rit_86

Distinguished

May or may not be a problem in the laptop.
When they replaced the HDD before, they may have done it with refurbished HDD.
It is also possible that the laptop mobo is at fault, is sending erratic current to the HDD and ruining it. That is why you are getting the problem repeatedly.
The second case is very rare and I have seen just 2 such cases, however the first one is more common.
If the HDD was just booting and restarting, I would have told you to check its SMART attributes as it would have given the clue as to why it is happening, but since it is not even being detected by the BIOS, that is not possible and every possibility is left to guesswork.

Solution

Rit_86

Distinguished
Then wait for some time, see if it gets fixed automatically again and if it boots again, check its SMART attributes with the help of Crystal disk Info or HD Tune drive status, and give us an update here.
Also, yes, there is a high probability that a new disk may solve your problem.
Just one doubt though, you said the laptop was fixed three times within the warranty period. What was the warranty period and approximately within how many days were they replaced ?

saurabh96

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014
3 years warranty
Got fixed 2-3 time with same problem in 1-1.5 year interval
And it has been more than 2 weeks since it stopped working so I don't think it would work again

Rit_86

Distinguished
Yup, that means that the HDD is totally busted.
So, then you can try a new HDD. If it works good (in all likelihood it should work), if it fails again get a new laptop, as replacing the mobo, if possible at all on a 3 year old laptop will be prohibitively expensive.

TRENDING THREADS