[SOLVED] Laptop cannot provide full resolution over hdmi for my external QHD monitor.

Sep 4, 2019
Hello,

I have a Samsung ATIV Book 8 laptop.
It has a Multi-GPU Configuration with one integrated HD Graphics 4000 GPU and one AMD Radeon HD 8870M GPU card.
It has no displayport. Just 1 HDMI out.
It also has 2 USB 3 ports.

I also have an external monitor with HDMI and displayport inputs and a maximum 2560 x 1440 resolution (QHD).

It appears I cannot force the laptop to natively provide the full 2560 x 1440 resolution over hdmi.

What are my options in order to get the full resulution out of my external monitor?

Thanks!
Kind regards,
Lode (Belgium)

Sep 4, 2019
Thanks for your replies guys.
I indeed believe I will not be able to get the monitor working in full resolution over the native hdmi port.
However, there exist these DisplayLink convertors for USB 3.0 to DisplayPort. If I'd buy one of those, would that enable me to get the full resolution? Does those adapters have impact on color and contrast quality?

@lynx1021 @hang-the-9

Thanks for your replies guys.
I indeed believe I will not be able to get the monitor working in full resolution over the native hdmi port.
However, there exist these DisplayLink convertors for USB 3.0 to DisplayPort. If I'd buy one of those, would that enable me to get the full resolution? Does those adapters have impact on color and contrast quality?

@lynx1021 @hang-the-9

The USB 3 adapters are just low end external video cards, you probably won't see much issues with colors but it will be slower than your onboard video. And make sure you read the adapter specs for resolutions you can use.

TRENDING THREADS