Laptop can't connect to wifi.

switchblades

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016
Hi there!
I have had my laptop for about a year and three months. A few months ago it started disconnecting from wifi every 2 seconds and generally being really slow so I tried a few things to get it working, but they didn't work so I switched over to ethernet. However, my ethernet cable is dying and it's rather inconvenient, so I'm on the quest to get my wifi working again.
I have a HP laptop with Windows 8.1.
When I try to connect to wifi, I only have two options, my network, and a random one. When I connect, I get three bars, max, and it connects me to my skype, however when I try to browse the internet it stays loading the page and usually disconnects me within a few seconds/minutes.
I have tried updating my drivers.
I do not have this problem with any of my other devices, it can't be a problem with my actual wifi.
Thanks in advance.

Solution

Did you update the drivers from the computer manufacturer's web site? How about the card manufacturer's site. These are preferable because sometimes Windows update breaks a good driver. If you did, then sometimes it helps to uninstall the driver then reboot and reinstall. It's not always a solution, just one step in troubleshooting.

Riddell 2000

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Hello there, while I am by no means an expert, I do have knowledge of similar problems with my own laptop, first we need to establish what is wrong, it could be the WNIC or a compatibility issue. The first step I can recommend is to either buy or borrow a USB Wireless networking device and see if you can access the Internet, please reply to this with any other questions and when you have the results of the above test.

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013

Did you update the drivers from the computer manufacturer's web site? How about the card manufacturer's site. These are preferable because sometimes Windows update breaks a good driver. If you did, then sometimes it helps to uninstall the driver then reboot and reinstall. It's not always a solution, just one step in troubleshooting.

Solution