[SOLVED] Laptop can't detect HDD, but does detect SSD

steampunkerkai

Prominent
Dec 27, 2018
Hello. I am using a Dell Inspiron 7577 laptop running Windows 10 that has an SSD that stores the OS and then a large HDD that stores pretty much everything else. My laptop is out of warranty and I don't mind opening it up but I have never worked on a laptop so I would be wary to do so with no guidance.

Earlier, while editing in Premiere Pro, my laptop bluescreened. When it booted again, I got to my desktop with no issue. When I tried to return to Premiere Pro, I found that the program had failed to locate the majority of my files. I searched around and discovered that I am no longer able to access my HDD in any capacity and that it is not listed as a drive in my File Explorer and I could not locate it in the BIOS. I called Dell tech support and I was told that I should pay to have diagnostics run on my laptop which I am not inclined to do. Any help here would be much appreciated.

Solution
Shut the laptop down for 5 minutes. You'll need to hold down the shift key when you click shutdown to get a real shutdown in Win 8 & 10.

Turn it back on and see if the drive is detected again plz.