Laptop can't find wifi while others can

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
the only other option is to find go back under that wifi card andcopy the name of the wifi adapter into Google and find a new driver.

remember check to amke sure your secondary switch/button is on and not set to disabled or else you will nto see any wireless connections either.

the switch is usually on the front or side and the toggle will be the blue fn key and usually f5.

nicknamenick

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
Thanks 06yfz450ridr. My laptop suddenly stopped finding any wi-fi networks and after trying to figure out Windows 8 locations for things (seems they want users to have less and less control and understanding of fixing what's under the hood). The troubleshooting option was completely useless, and I had tried to check for driver updates in the control panel, but going through manage the way you suggested worked finally. Oddly, if I made my phone a personal hotspot while I was starting up my laptop, it would trigger my laptop to find wi-fi networks, whereas if I shut down and restarted, it would only sporadically find wi-fi networks. Not sure if the sporadic nature of finding or not finding wi-fi networks indicates my card is on its way out or not, but your suggestion seems to be working for the time being. Thanks a lot!

Emanuel Leipa

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015

ljk11i

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
Had a similar issue - devices that were already connected via wireless were fine, but no new devices could see the router. I powered the router off, waited a minute and powered it back on and that resolved the problem

tianna

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
Hi my laptop is hp. I tried all the answers but it keeps saying error missing or something like that. I can even get into my unistall programs. It has an ex where the wifi thing is supposed to be and can't detect any other network. HELP

Bml_2

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
@06yfz450ridr

Thanks! For some reason my laptop couldn't see my wifi adapter and just hitting the "computer with a magnifying glass" and it sorted it!

rocker80

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015

i found it in device manager on the top left last icon

Jenna1414

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
Hello. I am having the same problem but instead of saying card when I go into network adapters there is only wireless network adapter and Ethernet controller. Which one do I uninstall?

May 12, 2015
I got a solution. Solution is not good.
Solution is to change channel number from your router.

At first, Login to your router then select wireless, then you will a channel's drop down menu. May be your selected option is "Auto".
Please select any channel (1 to 13) and click to apply.

By changing channel, I solved this problem.

nalvi

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
I fixed this by clicking "Roll Back Driver" instead of uninstalling it. I was afraid that once I'd uninstalled the driver, I couldn't get online to install the new version anyway. The roll back driver button I assume simply reverts your driver back to an earlier working version. Then I simply clicked update driver. It's working now.

Urbanpobre

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Yo, I got an alternative solution for this problem. This thing happen to me just now and I only used system restore. It worked like a charm. I hope this helps for some of you guys. Goodluck. :)

keithhayes

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
Thanks to 06yfz450ridr

I joined Tom'sHardware just to get an answer to this question.

Although the answer was not exactly the same it led me directly to the solution.
Right click on 'My Computer' 'Device Manager' 'Network Adapters' found the card 'Atheros ????' one click and found it was disabled. clicked Enable' = Job Done
Thanks once again

Cynepxaxo94

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

b22222c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014

It work for me! Thanks

this isn't always going to work, it will help if you live in an apartment building etc and you are sitting on top of another wireless router on the same exact channel as you. on general everyone should be using the 1,6,11 channel to avoid overlapping the channels as those are the only 3 on 2.4ghz that don't overlap.

this isn't always going to work, it will help if you live in an apartment building etc and you are sitting on top of another wireless router on the same exact channel as you. on general everyone should be using the 1,6,11 channel to avoid overlapping the channels as those are the only 3 on 2.4ghz that don't overlap.

Cheercrazy08

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016

Just press scan for hardware changes under the name of your pc after you uninstalled then it will reinstall it

_Donna_

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
I just updated the wifi driver and it's working perfectly! Hope this helps!

Device Manager --> Network adapters --> [select wifi card] --> (R-click) Update Driver Software

OR

Device Manager --> Network adapters --> [select wifi card] --> (R-click) Properties --> Select "Driver" tab --> Select "Update Driver"

Status
Not open for further replies.