Laptop Can't Fit Needed Graphics Card

mstrlucky74

Reputable
Jul 24, 2016
Company got me a new Dell laptop that has a graphics card to support (2) 4K monitors. Right now I have (2) 4k monitors and (1) regular 27" and all works fine. I want to get rid of the 27" and get a 3rd 4K but Dell said the laptop won't be able to fit/handle a graphics card that would do that? Any other option to run a 3rd 4k without having to buy another laptop? Thanks

You can but HDMI only supports 30hz in 4k, the screen will be really laggy. Intel integrated graphics only supports up to 3 panels as far as I know and your laptop screen is included in that, so I don't think you're going to be able to make this work. You should really be using a desktop to be running 3 4k displays.

Yeah it's pretty obvious this isn't for gaming haha. I mean if you don't mind it being laggy I'd just keep the laptop closed, set them all to 30 hz, and either hook all 3 of them up to the 2 displayport connections and HDMI or get a 2x MST hub and hook 2 up to the hub and 1 up to the spare displayport connection. You can get it to run 3 4k screens, just how well I don't know though as it's not every day you come across someone trying to do this. They usually just buy a desktop. Setting all 3 to 30hz will be the equivalent of running 6 1080p60 screens instead of 10, so it should drastically reduce the strain on your iGPU.

mstrlucky74

Reputable
Jul 24, 2016
Thanks Chem. So I won't be able to run all 3 at the 4k resolution, one will automatically be displayed at a lower resolution . That's why I posed my question if there was a way to get all 3 @ 4k resolution. I throught I heard something about an external graphics card.

Anyway should I lower the HZ with my present setup?

You can get an external graphics card enclosure, but they're pretty expensive ($300+) and don't include the gpu. It would be the same price to build a cheap desktop computer. Some computers have docks for them that support eGPUs, but yours isn't one of them as far as I know. Below is an example. You can make your own but you have to get a laptop PCIe riser card (which requires you either always have the back open or take out the CD drive and run the cable through there) and a power supply with a jumper for the 24 pin mobo connector.

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-core

I mean this isn't my expertise but I'm trying to help, hopefully you can find some solution but I don't exactly know what the 100% best one is.

mstrlucky74

Reputable
Jul 24, 2016

Thanks do appreciate it. Need to keep the laptop as my comp.