Question Laptop can't see wifi/Bluetooth card anymore.

halfbeing

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
I woke my Yoga 710 up from sleep and after a minute or two it bluescreened with a message that was something to do with faulty hardware and a corrupted page. This is not the first time that this has happened, and the last couple of times it happened I ran various diagnostics including Memtest but found no fault. However this time I soon discovered that my wifi and Bluetooth weren't working. I rebooted, but this didn't fix it I looked in Device Manager and it says, with regard to the Bluetooth and wifi drivers, "Currently this hardware device is not connected to the computer".

Should I assume that my wifi/Bluetooth card is dead and order a replacement? Or is there something I can do to bring it back to life? Could opening the case, removing the adapter and then reseating it be worth a try? How can I test that it definitely is the wifi that is the problem and not something else?

EDIT:
The wifi and Bluetooth seem to have come back. I don't know if this is a coincidence, but that seemed to happen after I had rebooted my router. Just after I wrote the original part of this message the internet stopped working on my router (but the DSL connection was still active). I rebooted the router and waited until its internet connection was restored. Then I looked in Device Manager on the laptop and found that the wifi and Bluetooth drivers were no longer greyed out.

Last edited:

halfbeing

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2014
To reply to my own post, it turned out that opening up the laptop, removing and then firmly reinserting the wifi/bluetooth card got everything working again, at least for three months. It must have been during a previous repair of the laptop that I'd removed and then somehow reinserted it in a way that wasn't ideal.

I say that everything worked for three months because last night I had another blue screen and when I rebooted, the wifi and bluetooth weren't working again and still didn't work when I rebooted into Linux. So I opened the laptop, took out and reinserted the card again, and now it's working properly. But there must be some reason beyond carelessly reinserting the card why this has happened again, so I've made another, more precise post about the new version of the problem here.

TRENDING THREADS