Laptop can't shutdown completely after upgrade CPU

LamTung

Commendable
May 8, 2016
Hi all,
I have a problem so I hope someone could help me.
I have an old workstation laptop HP Elitebook 8730w, and I've just upgrade CPU from T9800 to QX9300. At first, Bios show cpu is Extream Q9300 and Windows 10 show cpu T9800. I search for some trick in internet so I uninstall Processor driver in Device Manager, and then Win10 show Cpu q9300 like Bios. But from that time, my laptop can't shut down completely. The screen turn off but fan and led light and hdd are still running. I have to turn off by holding Power Button for 5 sec.
I have install all driver and window update and search about this error but there're no guide could help me. I reinstall Os to Win 7 but no help.
I found that the Cpu Usage alway higher 25% by a process System, in thread is ACPI.sys+0x1af7c.
Plz help me!

Hello LamTung

Looks like your laptop needs a hard reset. Here's how you can do so:

> Turn off your laptop.

> Unplug it from its the power adapter.

> Pull out its battery.

> Press and hold down the Power button for 45 to 60 seconds.

> Release the Power button.

> Put the battery back in.

> Try powering on the laptop this time.

If that doesn't help, you may need to upgrade the BIOS of your laptop, but before doing so, do not forget to backup the current BIOS, and check if you can restore it easily.

Feel free to report back if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!! :)

LamTung

Commendable
May 8, 2016

Thanks viveknayyar007 for your advices!

I tried as you said but it does not work with me. I also tried to take out the CMOS battery, nothing changed. I updated my BIOS to the lastest version in HP website (F20). I don't know what I could do.
I just find out that I can shut down or restart in Safe Mode.
Does anyone have a 8730w laptop and have the same problem like me?