[SOLVED] Laptop charger causes ethernet to disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSmith156

Reputable
May 20, 2017
Hi,

This is going to sound very strange, but I've done some testing and it seems as if my ethernet connection stops working whenever I charge my laptop.

To be more specific, my laptop is a LabTop MkIV from StarLabs and I'm using a TP-Link powerline adapter plugged into an extension cord for my (different) PC's connection. Whenever I plug my laptop's charger in and turn it on, despite whether my laptop is actually plugged into the charger or not, the connection on my PC stops working. This seems to only happen when the charger is plugged in (and turned on) to either the same extension cord as the adapter, or the plug next to where the extension cord is plugged in.

I really have no idea why a charger would cause network issues but I'm almost positive that's what it is. It didn't use to happen and, before this, I used to use my laptop and PC together with no issues.

Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
My thought is an electrical issue involving the TP-Link power line adapter, the extension cord, charger, and outlet.

For the most part, using extension cords for electronics is not recommended. Especially if extension cord is one of those big box store, discount bin type extension cords.

Try setting up the connections without the extension cord. Especially the TP-Link adapter. That should be directly plugged into a known working outlet.

Separate the charger, and the power line adapter, and the laptop so each is using another power source or at least some other connection paths. Try other known working outlets (again for testing purposes) to see what, if anything, works together without the extension cord.

You may...

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is an electrical issue involving the TP-Link power line adapter, the extension cord, charger, and outlet.

For the most part, using extension cords for electronics is not recommended. Especially if extension cord is one of those big box store, discount bin type extension cords.

Try setting up the connections without the extension cord. Especially the TP-Link adapter. That should be directly plugged into a known working outlet.

Separate the charger, and the power line adapter, and the laptop so each is using another power source or at least some other connection paths. Try other known working outlets (again for testing purposes) to see what, if anything, works together without the extension cord.

You may need a longer Ethernet cable, etc. to do some methodical testing.

And it would be fair to try another known working, quality extension cord or power bar. UL rated.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.