[SOLVED] Laptop Charger - Unplugging and plugging in frequently will break connector?

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
Hi all,

I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53 and read that keeping the battery between 40-80% is ideal to prolong battery life. In this case, whenever my battery is about to reach 100% I unplug the connector.

However for some reason the charger that comes with my laptop does not plug in and out easily, I usually have to wiggle it in and out and an afraid of damaging it in the future. I try my best to plug it straight in, but that would require a lot of force so I wiggle.

I have already used isopropyl alcohol to clean the connector for any soot.

Is it normal for this to happen for some chargers and will plugging the connector in and out put wear on it significantly or should I not worry?

Solution
Really tight connectors isn't all that uncommon. Unplugging my external hard drive is like pulling Excalibur out of stone and unplugging the headphone jack from my tablet is like pulling teeth. Never broke any connectors on them before

Connectors can wear with time but from my experience I've never had any issues with a connector wearing to the point where its unusable. Closest thing that happened is my 6 year old pair of headphones I used every day started causing static when I rotate the headphone jack while its connected to a device

Wiggling the cable shouldn't be an issue unless you're exerting unreasonable amounts of wiggle force. I've been doing the wiggle approach for my iphone's connector for 11 years now and it still works...

Furzumz

Reputable
Really tight connectors isn't all that uncommon. Unplugging my external hard drive is like pulling Excalibur out of stone and unplugging the headphone jack from my tablet is like pulling teeth. Never broke any connectors on them before

Connectors can wear with time but from my experience I've never had any issues with a connector wearing to the point where its unusable. Closest thing that happened is my 6 year old pair of headphones I used every day started causing static when I rotate the headphone jack while its connected to a device

Wiggling the cable shouldn't be an issue unless you're exerting unreasonable amounts of wiggle force. I've been doing the wiggle approach for my iphone's connector for 11 years now and it still works just fine.

Worst case scenario you can always buy a new charging cable, I find cables seem to generally wear out quicker than the ports they connect into. But I imagine its unlikely you'll ever need a new one due to it breaking from the tight fit

Solution