laptop choice for basic video editing

toha409

Commendable
Mar 12, 2017
hello

i need a new "general use" laptop but want to spec. it powerful enough to be able to get started with basic starter video editing.
besides video editing the laptop will only be used for basic general work, internet, and watching YouTube video.

i have been looking at gaming laptops only because they seem to meet all the specification requirements i am looking for...
8th gen i5 or i7
dedicated NVIDIA 1050
at least 8G ram but preferably 16
a full selection of ports

if i am only interested in basic video editing will i notice a significant difference between an i5 vs i8 ?
i can save a few dollars by going with th i5.
also i know gaming laptops tend to run hot, will this still be the case if its not used for gaming?

thanks for any opinions

hang-the-9

Titan
How much of a difference in speeds would depend on the program, resolution, quality, etc.. You can do editing and rendering with any CPU, it's really up to you how much you value waiting vs higher cost.
System probably will be pretty much as hot with the CPU/Video card used for rendering video as gaming.

Looks like you are looking at systems in the $800 range, anything here would be good, just keep in mind the drive size vs speed and cost https://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-gaming-laptops-ct-118-96-98/optimal-laptop-series.html

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS