Question Laptop/Chromebook for Homeschool Students ?

Jan 6, 2022
Hello all.

So, we just switched our daughters over to homeschooling. Grades are K, 4, and 5. Preferably looking at having these purchases last at least a few years. We are trying to keep their computers cheap, mostly because they haven't had anything but cheap tablets before, and they broke them. Don't want to give them something expensive that they are going to do the same to. They are just doing Time4Learning which has animated lessons and videos in the browser. In the future we may switch things up, but I think for the most part they will just have basically the same, animated lessons or videos with simple educational games tied in.

That would be the primary use. However, we also want to be able to give the girls a few smaller simple games to play on their computers. Nothing fancy, and certainly nothing super graphical. Just to get them started into gaming a little bit.

I have built desktops or stripped and modified desktops for nearly 20 years..... but that said, I have never even looked at the low end budget laptop scene. I have only ever bought two laptops.... the original MSI GT80 Titan with the dual GPU's and another MSI with an i7 and 1060. Will the el cheapo Celeron N4000 series laptops handle low end RPG, educational, builder, and super low end multiplayer games? Don't really have to worry about browser, their classes, and playing videos... I'm sure you can run all that on a toaster these days. Just wanting to make sure they can use them for more than just their browser classes.

Any info is appreciated. Have them bouncing back and forth with my desktop and their mother's laptop right now.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Don't really have to worry about browser, their classes, and playing videos... I'm sure you can run all that on a toaster these days.
Bottom of the barrel style laptop's should get them up and running so long as they have some amount of ram and a webcam but that's for their classes and productivity tasks.

low end RPG, educational, builder, and super low end multiplayer games?
Might want to mention the titles of the games you intend to tax on the proposed laptop/notebook purchase.