Question Laptop (Clevo X170SM-G) doesn't show any picture after very superficial disassembly.

Sentient0000

Commendable
Apr 22, 2020
(UPDATE 2: It's the backlight that it's not working. I tried booting without battery but it didn't work. I want to try to remove the RAM sticks but I don't know how to disassembly they keyboard, and they are underneath it).

I already contacted support, but since this is urgent I'd like to try asking for help here as well. Here's the story:

I have a Clevo X170SM-G bought from XMG.

Recently I started hearing some strange rattling sound from the fans, so I wanted to have a look inside the chassis to see if maybe some hair had gotten stuck there.

I removed the main central cover and then I attempted to remove the right fan (this would be the fan on the left when the laptop is facing right-side up).

I removed the screws around the right fan, the ones that hold the light bar, and 8 screws around what I believe to be the main heat sinks for the CPU and the GPU.

I only removed some screws without unplugging anything. I noticed that the fan wasn't easily coming out despite having removed all the relevant screws around it so I didn't insist and I put all the screws back in their original place, in the order I took them out. I didn't lift any component out of their socket.

Please see the 3 photos to see which screws I removed, I marked them in red.

After piecing everything back together, the laptop's screen does not turn on. The keyboard lights as well as the light bar and lights on the side underneath the laptop do light up.

The first time I attempted to boot the laptop, I noticed that the custom keyboard lights did load up after several seconds, but in subsequent attempts the keyboard lights stayed blue (this is their default color, after the initial rainbow color).

Both AC adapters are firmly plugged in on all ends of the cables and the LED lights of the laptop do recognize that it's plugged and charging.

I connected a second monitor but I was not able to get it to display anything neither.

I do not know what could be causing this. Perhaps the cable to the screen was already very loose and simply flipping the laptop around might have made it even more lose that I can no longer get the screen to turn on? Where can I verify if this is the case?

Either way, I am not sure the problem is the screen. It could be something else.

(SMALL UPDATE: I tried typing my password to log in to Windows, despite not seeing anything, and it seems to work, since I can hear the system reacting to it and the keyboard lights finish loading up properly after logging into Windows. So it's definitely something to do with the screen

UPDATE 2: It's the backlight that it's not working. I tried booting without battery but it didn't work. I want to try to remove the RAM sticks but I don't know how to disassembly they keyboard, and they are underneath it).

Could anyone advice what to do?

Thanks

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY