[SOLVED] Laptop component compatibility to a new desktop tower

Mar 29, 2021
Hey folks! Wanted to start this by saying how you all have helped me out many times in the past, but I'm making an account to ask a question myself this time.
Essentially, I currently run a gaming laptop (Dell G7 15 7588) which uses:
-Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz[Cores 4] [Logical processors 8]
-gtx 1050
Upon request (and with a little help, I'm new to this sorry) I can produce the exact specs of the graphics card. I've been told not to bother with RAM and hard drive because they're always incompatible so I'm assuming the processor and graphics card are the only ones possible to be reused. So, would it be possible to take these parts out and use it in a new build? Thanks for any and all responses guys.

g-unit1111

Titan
Upon request (and with a little help, I'm new to this sorry) I can produce the exact specs of the graphics card. I've been told not to bother with RAM and hard drive because they're always incompatible so I'm assuming the processor and graphics card are the only ones possible to be reused. So, would it be possible to take these parts out and use it in a new build? Thanks for any and all responses guys.

Whoever told you that is 100% wrong and does not know what they are talking about. It's actually the opposite. A laptop CPU won't carry over to a desktop. Main reason is because laptop CPUs use different sockets. Laptop GPUs won't carry over either because they are all integrated into the motherboard.

Hard drives and SSDs, on the other hand, are the only component that will carry over between laptops and desktops because they use the same connectors and power doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
Hey folks! Wanted to start this by saying how you all have helped me out many times in the past, but I'm making an account to ask a question myself this time.
Essentially, I currently run a gaming laptop (Dell G7 15 7588) which uses:
-Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz[Cores 4] [Logical processors 8]
-gtx 1050

If you don't want to keep the laptop and replacing it with a desktop, sell the laptop, use the money towards desktop parts. Keep in mind that video cards are hard to find and are way over normal prices. If I was you, I would use the laptop till you can buy video cards at normal prices again.

A laptop CPU won't carry over to a desktop. Main reason is because laptop CPUs are low voltage and made to run on a battery. Desktop motherboards and CPUs require a lot of power to run properly.
Main reason for incompatibility is laptop and desktop cpus use different sockets. Not compatible. Period.
You could, but the voltages and speeds between laptop RAM and desktop RAM are so different that you're just better off buying new.
No. Voltages are the same for laptop and desktop ram.
DDR4 and DDR3L is 1.2V to 1.35V - on both desktop and laptop.​
DDR3 is 1.5V to 1.65V - on both desktop and laptop.​
But again - different sockets DIMM and SODIMM. So not compatible without a specific adapter.

g-unit1111

Titan
Main reason for incompatibility is laptop and desktop cpus use different sockets. Not compatible. Period.

But again - different sockets DIMM and SODIMM. So not compatible without a specific adapter.

I have seen laptops that run desktop CPUs but I am guessing that the OP doesn't have one of those.

No. Voltages are the same for laptop and desktop ram.
DDR4 and DDR3L is 1.2V to 1.35V - on both desktop and laptop.​
DDR3 is 1.5V to 1.65V - on both desktop and laptop.​

OK so I am wrong on that one, I will admit that. But I do stand by my claim that some things just aren't worth the hassle. By the time you buy the adapters and get everything configured, you might as well just buy new.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Could also just get a motherboard that has SO-DIMM slots, but that is silly as well to just re-use some memory.

There are companies in China harvesting laptop CPUs and putting them on desktop substrates, but not something you can do yourself. I believe Linus also did a video on that some years back.

Honestly nothing wrong with an i5-8300H and a GTX 1060 right now. I would just keep it. Maybe replace the thermal compound for a little boost in performance.

g-unit1111

Titan
Could also just get a motherboard that has SO-DIMM slots, but that is silly as well to just re-use some memory.

There are companies in China harvesting laptop CPUs and putting them on desktop substrates, but not something you can do yourself. I believe Linus also did a video on that some years back.

Honestly nothing wrong with an i5-8300H and a GTX 1060 right now. I would just keep it. Maybe replace the thermal compound for a little boost in performance.

Really? This is a thing?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, they did a few high end Mini-ITX boards with SO-DIMM slots, purely for the space savings. Can't say I've seen one recently though.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kT...o-mini-itx-lga1151-motherboard-mbd-x11ssv-q-o

If you are referring to the laptop CPUs for desktops, apparently available on Amazon and Ebay:

https://www.amazon.com/Modify-4770HQ-Adapter-LGA1150-Compatible/dp/B07KYC8BPM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Modify-COR...dapter-to-LGA-1150-Mod-for-HTPC-/254069873498

Seems to be the same group doing them, same spelling mistakes and general descriptions.