[SOLVED] Laptop connection still slow with ethernet cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2020
Hi. I'm working at home on my laptop. I'm trying to speed up my connection to my company's VPN. I've connected my laptop directly to my modem with an ethernet cable and disconnected wifi. According to the control panel, I'm connected via ethernet and the speed listed is twice as fast, but large files are taking just as long to move. My coworkers have used this method and they've said it makes things much faster. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Solution
Hi. I'm working at home on my laptop. I'm trying to speed up my connection to my company's VPN. I've connected my laptop directly to my modem with an ethernet cable and disconnected wifi. According to the control panel, I'm connected via ethernet and the speed listed is twice as fast, but large files are taking just as long to move. My coworkers have used this method and they've said it makes things much faster. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Well, if your co workers aren’t Having the same issue... do you have the same laptop as them? You could have a pretty slow hard drive, nvm hard drives are slow in general.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Well, if your co workers aren’t Having the same issue... do you have the same laptop as them? You could have a pretty slow hard drive, nvm hard drives are slow in general.

Solution
Without knowing exactly what laptop (make, model, installed RAM etc.), what port speeds, what speed you pay your ISP for, and so on, no one here can even begin to formulate an answer. However, right off the top a VPN tunnel will reduce your total bandwidth by 40-50% while the tunnel is active.

Status
Not open for further replies.