laptop connection T.V.

OleSal

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hey has anyone ever had this problem. I connect my Gateway laptop to my Hisense T.V. with an HDMI cable and it works great. I love it but tonight when I turned it on the only thing that came on was my background and task bar. I have stuff on the desktop but nothing else would come on the T.V. however all of it was on my laptop. So can anyone please help? I have done nothing different I actually leave them plugged up. Your help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
OleSal

Solution
It sounds like you've extended your desktop to the TV, instead of mirrored it. Right-click the desktop and click on "Screen resolution". In the window which pops up, it should show you a picture of both screens. Click the "Identify" button and it will show you if both screens are #1 (mirrored), or one screen is #1 (main) and the other screen is #2 (extended). When the desktop is extended, your start button and icons will only show up on the main screen. The extended screen will be as you describe.

If you wish to mirror the two screens instead, just click "Extend these displays" and change it to "Duplicate these displays". (There's also an option to swap which screen is your main, if you want to do that instead.)

OleSal

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hey Danny I tried all of that even put all icons one by one onto T.V. but internet explorer still pops up on my computer instead of T.V. . I thank you so much for your help even tho it didn't work. God Bless, OleSal

It sounds like you've extended your desktop to the TV, instead of mirrored it. Right-click the desktop and click on "Screen resolution". In the window which pops up, it should show you a picture of both screens. Click the "Identify" button and it will show you if both screens are #1 (mirrored), or one screen is #1 (main) and the other screen is #2 (extended). When the desktop is extended, your start button and icons will only show up on the main screen. The extended screen will be as you describe.

If you wish to mirror the two screens instead, just click "Extend these displays" and change it to "Duplicate these displays". (There's also an option to swap which screen is your main, if you want to do that instead.)

Solution