Laptop connects to wifi, but no internet access

Sicilee

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016
Please... Help :( i live with my grandparents now and my laptop hasn't gotten internet here since i've been here (for 2 years). I've tried off and on to google it and find a solution, but haven't found one. My laptop connects to our wifi network, but it says there is no internet access. Even when i connect an ethernet cord, it does not work. All our other devices connect just fine. My grandpa's laptop, my tablet, my phone, and their desktop computer. The ethernet cable works when plugged into their desktop. My laptop works with all other networks i've tried (except for whatever reason now it won't work with my phone, but wouldn't need to do that if i could just get it to work with their wifi in the first place). I'm just tired of having a perfectly functioning laptop that i can't really use here. Can someone help me?

Solution
Change the DNS to use these addresses (Google's): 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Try again after saving. This is the second setting, by the way.

Sicilee

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016
Hi, sorry i posted a new question because i realized i put all the information i had in the title to this and it was cut off...
Yes; every single other device works.
How would i know if it is a fixed ip address or dhcp?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Sicilee : "Laptop connects to wifi, but no internet access"

Sicilee

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016
Oh my goodness... It worked. I almost can't believe it!!
Thank you so so so much. T.T

So... Is there anything i can do for you, then? Lol. Want to be vegan? I'm a pro at being vegan. Show recommendation? Avatar: the last airbender is THE best show in existence as far as i'm concerned. But i bet you've already seen it. How about a book recommendation? If you're into eastern cultures at all, or you just kinda like winnie-the-pooh, i just finished reading "the tao of pooh." Wonderful at explaining major themes in taoism and approaches to life. I'm not a taoist, i'm a christian actually, but i still love many philosophical ideas within taoism, buddhism, and confucianism.

Seriously, thank you. You're a legend, mate.