Laptop constant buzzing sound, becomes louder when gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2019
Hello,

I have a problem with my ASUS laptop. I have already looked around on the internet, but can't seem to find the same problem.

So my laptop emits a constant low buzzing. It's only really audible when I keep my ear very close to the laptop. I assume this is the hard drive spinning? However, when gaming for a while (usually between 1 and 2 hours depending on the game) the buzzing sound becomes remarkably louder, to the point that it sounds troubling to me. When I stop gaming, the buzzing goes back to its normal volume after a short while.

First I thought it would be something with the fans, so I cleaned them out, but that didn't make a difference. So I decided to open the case with the laptop running to see if I could find where the sound is coming from. Now the weirdest thing is that, without the case, the sound is so silent that I can't barely hear it, yet when I put the case back on, the sound is back at its usual volume.

At least I think that I can rule out the fans because they spin very smoothly and silently.
But what could be the problem then?

Already thanks in advance.

Jan 10, 2019

It's an ASUS Vivobook Pro X580VD.
(Intel Core i7-7700HQ processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 graphics card. I don't know if you need these things as well.)

I don't think the fans are hitting anything. When they're spinning at top speed they sound completely normal and even overrule the buzzing. This is also the case when I'm gaming. At first I only hear the fans spinning at high speed as usual. Only after an extended period, the buzzing becomes louder and starts to overrule the fans.

Also, I noticed that the buzzing sound is best audible from the center of the keyboard and not from the fan exhaust. I don't know if this helps.

Jan 10, 2019

I tried to record it, but the buzzing sound isn't audible on camera for some reason. It gets overruled by the sound of the wind blowing.

However, by coincidence, I got someone else to look at it and he thinks that it's the fan bearings getting old. He only doesn't understand why the buzzing only becomes louder after a period of spinning at high speed.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS