Question Laptop constantly turning on and off

ianhuysman

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
Hi all,
I've been trying to fix an Asus Vivobook that randomly turned off shortly after turning it on. I first tried to get Memtest 86 to run on it, but it kept shutting down. After doing the usual stuff (Removing the battery, reseating ram, removing all storage devices...).

The laptop doesn't turn on at all, it just constantly cycles between on and off. The backlight of the keyboard is practically flickering because it stays on for just a second and then turns off. It also makes a buzzing sound every time it turns on, like the fans want to start spinning but don't get the time to do so.

Could anyone help me with this? Or just tell me if the motherboard is trashed?
Also, the laptop had quite a rough life.

Thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
Exact model for your Vivobook? You might want to see if you can powerup the laptop without the battery. Did you manage to locate where the CMOS battery is on the laptop? Also did you try pressing down on the power button for 30 seconds while the laptop is devoid of the battery and the wall socket connection?

ianhuysman

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
Thanks for replying!
It's an Asus Vivobook n580v.
And I did almost all of those thing, didn't find the CMOS battery though. But I managed to do a full bios reset when it was still somewhat working.
And when I power it up with only the battery it goes on and immediately back off but it doesn't constantly cycle between on and off like when the adapter is plugged in.