thisguy

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Hi
Can anybody recommend a good laptop cooler?

I have a HP Pavilion Dv5-1000 Core2Duo T9400 2.53Ghz Geforce 9600GT. When I play demanding games it heats up a shuts off really quick. Even some web browser games can heat it up to the point of shut off. This is very inconvenient and the only way to stop it is keep it propped up and put a very noisy stand fan on it that blows everything around.

I heard that some Laptop coolers can keep this from happening. My friend gave me one that was a dollar on ebay and it didn't work if anything it made it worse cause I no longer could prop it.

I'm not looking to buy the top of the line $100 model something cheap but will still get the job done.

Thanks in advance.

G

Are you talking about coolers such as these?
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/category.php?category_by=0&category_id=1660&category_name=Notebook%20Cooling

They are usually worthless. What I did with my laptop to solve heat problems is open it up and blow the heatsink and fans with an air can. That usually solves the problems.

More?
I replaced the thermal paste with mx-4.
And I attached these...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708012
... to places that were hot on the laptop while I was surfing or gaming.

Less? Just thoroughly use an air canister on the vents. Everything I said above is not needed. This alone lowered cpu temps by 20C. Yes 20c.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Do keep in mind of your laptop's intake/exhaust flows when shopping for an active laptop cooler. Not all laptops and active laptop coolers are created equal. Some are designed to inhale from the side and vent the hot air downward, some are designed to inhale from the bottom and vent from the side, and others are designed to intake from and vent into the bottom.

For example, if your laptop intakes from the bottom, don't buy a cooler that exhausts air from the top of the laptop cooler and at the side.

When my N61jq laptop consistently reached past 90 C while under full load, I fixed it by taking off the bottom panel (it had a few small slits for intake), adding a laptop cooler that blows air into the starved 80mm cooling fan, and taped pieces of paper to prevent the laptop or the cooler from inhaling the hot exhaust air.

Now, it reaches mid 70 C, but I think I can go lower by replacing the thermal paste and adding copper heatsinks that bear95 mentioned.

thisguy

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Well I just used an Air can on the vents sounding the CPU and didn't see any change in temp according to Real Temp.

I'm still idling around 50C. 60C while doing minor tasks(Firefox,Real Temp, Task manager) at 1-5% load.

I guess my next step is to disassemble and try to clean the fan manually.